Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Prime Rib

I'm planning on making a 7lb prime rib on my Webber 22. I don't have a SNS and am wondering if using fire brick as a heat shield between the heat zone & "cool" zone will work. Hopefully Santa has heard my pleas for a SNS. Thanks in advance for any help.

Wes

It will sure help. Be prepared to be turning that roast quite a bit I would think. Also don't overload on your fuel things will get too hot. Remember you have only 22" to work with pretty hard to create a real indirect heat situation.
    Some of the more experienced kettle heads will be chiming in soon.

Comment

You can also try using a disposable tin foil tray, jammed between the grates, as a heat shield. I think JGo37 has done a couple of posts showing that trick.

Comment

Go a little lower on temp. It’ll take longer, but best not cook too fast. Other suggestions above are solid.

Comment

You can make it work. I was at a cabin (vbro) this summer that came with a grill. It was a 22" weber but was falling apart. I took the landscape stones from around the cabin and created a two zone cooking grill for chicken, steak and ribs. Not the most convenient but it worked! Necessity is the mother of invention!! Good cooking...
          P.S. I am doing prime rib on my son-in-laws gasser It is going to be a first for me as a kamado is my primary grill. We will make it work!!!

Comment

This is all you need to do. Pics below. Get a standard disposable foil cookie sheet - the 18" I think. Cut a 6" groove dead center. Slide it down the grate at 1/3 from the kettle wall, or just outside the fuel gate, if that's the grate you have. Put a drip pan under the standing roast. With 1.5" of water my kettle always runs ~ 230F on the grate this way. You should see ~ 350F on the dome. Set the bottom air open 1/8 - 1/4, and I set the top at 2/3 open to use smoke from chunks set on the upper grate above the coals, which is one full smaller chimney, not the larger chimney. Have a great cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Spatch Chicken & Riblets.jpg Views:	14 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	611800
            Last edited by JGo37; December 23, 2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

JGo37 beautiful way to rig that Kettle

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks - have great holidays!

OK, the rib roast cook went beautifully! Outside temperatures were in the 30s, but that didn't hinder the trusty old Weber. By the way...I got to play with my new ThermoWorks Smoke that my wife gave me for Christmas. I've attached a couple pictures.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	556.6 KB
ID:	613264Click image for larger version

Name:	Result (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	613265
              The roast came out bumper to bumper medium rare, I would have a picture of the carved roast but I got a request to take a slice a little further than medium rare. While I was out taking care of the special request, everyone else plated their slices and sat down at the table. Gotta love it when the guests can't wait to dig in! I think we'll have to try this again in the near future.

Comment

• fracmeister
                fracmeister commented
                Editing a comment
                I know what you mean. When we said the blessing I had about 12 people lined up with plates for the prime rib and I would have loved to had a "sliced" photo... but that line didn't get shorter until most of the meat was gone!

That's a great looking roast! Glad you made that work out :-)

Comment

Beautiful. Weber makes a great product, and looks like you know how to use it!

Comment

Equipment update...Santa heard my pleas for an SNS, she ordered it today. Can't wait to send it on it's maiden voyage!

Comment

• RustyHaines
                    RustyHaines commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SnS in a kettle is a game changer. I also foil wrapped the lower grate so only the portion under the SnS is exposed to airflow. Another game changer. Learn your fuel and vent settings and you are in low and slow heaven.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here