Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16.5 lb boneless prime rib cook questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16.5 lb boneless prime rib cook questions.

I have a pretty large group for Christmas Eve boneless Prime Rib (15 people). I have a 16.5 lb (before trimming fat) Prime grade Prime rib. And I want it done on time and not goof it up.

I have been doing Choice Tri-tips by souis vide to medium rare for 3-4 hours (131F or so), cool down in ice bath, then smoke back to 110 or so, and then sear. The results have been absolutely fantastic, perfect tenderness and vastly superior to no or shorter times in the water on those choice grades.

I want to souis vide this monster roast ahead of time, and get a little smoke/sear right at the end. i've done prime ribeye steaks in the water at 131F for 60-90 minutes with great results.

My questions are mainly around time for souis vide on the roast. I've seen many talk about 6 hrs in the water for large choice prime rib roasts. I'm a little concerned about too much time in the bath for a prime grade getting a bit too soft and mushy. I mainly think I need to heat it through not further tenderize prime meat. Is 6 hours in the bath too long for a Prime grade roast? Any expereince on sous vide time for a prime roast? Also should I cut the thing into 2 or 3 smaller roasts?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim Doyle

I've never tried a 16# rib roast SV but I have done some as large as 8#. Rib subprimals are typically the same overall mass per section of roast, said differently they are the same shape regardless of length. My 8# hunk was probably about 8-10" long while yours may be twice that. Regardless, the bath time should still be the same 130-132/6. Cutting into smaller roasts I don't think will help that much but will give you more exterior bark, which may be of benefit to you. Good luck, I'm sure others will chime in.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. Did 7 hours at 133 (wife likes it "done") then seared. The SV part was a little too long. So I'd try 6 next time.

Thanks for the repsonses Troutman and EdF, great expereince to draw on. Were those roasts bychance Prime grade? I'm thinking of putting the roast in a large ziplock with the zipper above water, instead of a food saver bag, so I can get a probe in the meat to keep an eye on it.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I always cook Prime Rib

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I suspect mine was choice. I think I dry-aged all the prime. ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here