Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami finish - Steam or Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami finish - Steam or Sous Vide

I'm doing Pastrami for the first time. I started with a corned beef flat, soaked overnight to desalinate, seasoned and rested overnight again, smoked at 220F until 155 internal temp. Now, I'm steaming 1/2 of it in an Instant Pot on "steam" "high pressure" for 50 minutes. I'm just wondering what would happen if bagged and placed in Suos Vide (instead of steam), maybe at 200F or so for 2-3 hours. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this?

I haven't. Though I've heard good reports. What my Mom from NYC used to do was not pre-steam or anything. She'd slice it thin, then steam just as she was making Reubens etc.

Comment

BTW, I think the pressure cooker approach is also good, though I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

I haven't tried the InstsntPot to finish, but I have steamed one on the stove top for 2 hours or so and it came out good. The last one I did got the same treatment you did then chilled and then SV at 190 for 4 hours and it was superb. The bark on the SV one was superior to the steamed one, but I don't remember if I let the rub go overnight in the fridge on the steamed one and that seems to be key to getting a good bark on pastrami.

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks - I took the half out of the Instant Pot a awhile ago and it is nice and tender, but kinda dry. Also, very peppery - I had to wipe some of the seasoning off to suit my taste. The other half is cooling now. I'll wipe some of the seasoning off, slice and vac pack, then SV later in the week to take with for Christmas travels. I used quite a lot of fresh coarse cracked black pepper - will have to scale that back a bit next time.

Finished - steamed in instant pot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181216_151140.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	608457

Name:	20181216_151147.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	608459

Before steaming... Click image for larger version

Name:	20181216_134802.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	608460

Before smoking Click image for larger version

Name:	20181216_124842.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	608458

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great! This is my favorite recipe on the site.

I used to cook mine using Sous Vide at 195 F X 4 Hours. Now I just smoke it the whole way up too 200 F. I have had the best results with that. I love the bark you get when you smoke up to finishing temp. Results don't lie.

Name:	IMG_3070.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	608478

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Schwing!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here