Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's The Beef!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's The Beef!

My dinky garage freezer is getting full. Here's a thread where you can show your beef. Post up your beef stash!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	607616

Nice stash. Are those the Double R prime ribeyes I see? Got 4 of those ready to hit the grill tomorrow

Comment

What kind is success do y’all have with freezing meat? I’ve always been a "fresh is best" guy, and unless I’m using it for a stew or chili I don’t freeze meat.

It would take some serious success stories for me to toss a perfectly good ribeye in the freezer intending to grill it sometime in the future. Anyone have such a success story???

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tons of success. My ribeyes come from prime rib roasts most of the time. I cut it down into steaks. From Costco that is 1/2 price per lb for Prime ribeyes.

Santamarina Every buddy has there belief but I would be hard pressed to tell you if something cooked had been frozen or not. But I do like buying three or 4 packages of on sale meat one for now and some for later 🤓
      Last edited by Fire Art; December 15, 2018, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I'm with Fire Art on that. Doubt I could tell the difference. I do vacuum pack all of my meats and freeze them. Sometimes I will dry brine for a day before freezing. ( I mark the package to avoid double salt jeopardy)

Comment

• Fire Art
          Fire Art commented
          Editing a comment
          Always vacuum pack and dry brine before freezen

• marshall
          marshall commented
          Editing a comment
          what does dry brining before freezing do?

• Fire Art
          Fire Art commented
          Editing a comment
          marshall I pull it out of the freezer it thaws put my salt free rubs on and cook

Add me to the list. Dry brine and vacuum seal, then make sure you mark the pkg accordingly.

And it'g great for leftovers too. With only two of us at home, it's difficult to eat a whole butt without freezing leftovers. Just portion and vacuum seal. Then reheat sealed in a hot water bath, or sous vide.

Comment

I find I save on electricity and freezer space if I keep my beef parked in the backyard. Click image for larger version

Name:	82726CD4-64C7-49F9-8003-90717132F338.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	607851

Comment

Name:	Freezer.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	607885
            I have a bit more in the bottom. The wife was mad I was taking a photo of the freezer. I was supposed to only have that tub but it kind of flowed into her sections.

Comment

• Fire Art
              Fire Art commented
              Editing a comment
              It happens like that

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Might be true but what is the proportion of closet space? :-)

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Might be true but what is the proportion of closet space? :-)
              Schnorrrrt!!!!!

This is me, walkin away, not sayin a dang dang thing...

I don't have the freezer stash that some of y'all do, but my wife did pick up a nice rib roast the other day:

Name:	IMG_4067.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	608162

Pretty good marbling for Choice:

Name:	IMG_4068.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	608161

Turned into 5 nice two-finger steaks and some ribs that are getting cooked tomorrow. Everything dry brined and ready to be dealt with:

Name:	IMG_4071.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	608163

Bonus? She missed a coupon for the same roast at $4.47/lb. So I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow for more. And a pork butt

Comment

Need to BEEF UP my game. There is nada in mine at the mo.

Comment

Jus a lil of this an that: 216 lbs. of Black Angus, some store boughten briskies lower left (18+19+ pounders), sausage, etc., an some other stuff that Officially don't exist until after midnight, tonight, if I'm unnerstandin Th SS Program correctly..??

Fortunately, I hit HV Friday, an bolstered up my cupboard from Mother Hubbard status...it was gittin kinda 'skinny', there, fer a minute or two... Whew!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181216_152049.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.41 MB ID:	608596 Fortunately, I still got a lil bit of freezer space left
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20181216_152056.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.43 MB ID:	608597Click image for larger version  Name:	20181216_152106.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.52 MB ID:	608598
                Leastways, I shouldn't starve to death, this week...

Name:	20181216_152126 - Copy.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	608600
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 16, 2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wait your butcher knows you as Mr. Bones ... WHAT? That's hilarious !!!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What else would they know me by???
                  Troutman

Alright, you guys convinced me...I’m gonna try freezing some steaks, then do a head-to-head test with some fresh steaks. It would be mighty nice to be able to take advantage of meat sales and stock up!

gonna need a vacuum sealer (I’ve actually wanted one for years). Amazon shows me models from ~$50 up to several hundred dollars. Anything I should look for specifically? Any reason I should skip an inexpensive model?

Comment

I'll have to get a pic posted. We have a total of 3 freezers one in the house that is a bottom freezer to the fridge, one full size freezer out in garage and one side by side fridge freezer in garage. I need to do a solid inventory in all 3 and maybe consolidate and organize.

I freeze stuff all the time. It's how you thaw things out that's more important. Thaw slowly in the fridge don't just throw a steak on the counter top in room temp to thaw.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here