Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sear from the rear rib eye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sear from the rear rib eye!

One rib eye with a slight hint of mesquite smoke seared from the rear. Light mesquite smoke seared to 138.
    Attached Files

Rib eye
    Attached Files

Comment

Tally that looks pretty good! What cooker(s) did you use for the low and slow and sear phases?

Comment

We put kosher salt on the steaks and put them back in the fridge while we prepped the sides and the smoker. Then we added garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Then, started in my Smoke vault at 225deg until the meat came up to 115deg. My gas grill was ready running full blast with my aluminum grillgrates flat side up. When we moved the steaks to the grill we brushed them lightly with olive oil and brought them up to medium rare. I shot for 135 but ended up a shade over. We used two 1 inch by 1 inch chunks of mesquite in the smoker for just a small kiss of smoke. I try to follow amazingribs.com meat/cooker temps and techniques as closely as I can. I do my burgers this way too.

Comment

That's very good execution (MH might quibble on adding spices but I won't tell). I wonder why the steak didn't have a darker color from the sear. Did you wipe excess liquid off the steak and coat with a little oil or beef fat before you threw it on the gasser grillgrates for the sear?

Comment

I think it was my grill temp for the coloring. I think its hottest isn't quite as hot as I want it. Don't worry I didn't smother it with spices. A light dusting of each. Just like MH's steakhouse burger but even less than what that recipe calls for per lb. I can't remember but I think on this cook I did the olive before the cook. Might be thinking I oiled them after 115 because I've done it so much on the burger recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here