Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well this should be intresting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this should be intresting

A while back I bought a 4 pound flat at BJ's. My daughter and family are coming Saturday for dinner. So my wife says let's make the brisket. I say OK!. Weather should cooperate. Never did a brisket on the gasser. I'm ready. She says WHAT! I am going to do it like I have forever (slow cooker). Deep breath, 45 years. Pick your battles. This is not one I can win. But a comprimise can be acheived. So she slow cooks, but I prep. So in fridge now dry brined. Use Big Bad Beef Rub prior to into cooker. In broiler to get bark just right. I hope this works. Or else I'm screwed.

Fingers crossed fer ya, Brother!!!
    Diplomacy can be painful...

Mebbe it'll be a new taste sensation?
    Time will tell...

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Especially wifely diplomacy! ;-)

I don't get the desire to mix methods here. If you slow cook it, braise it, make chili or some form of stew. If you want to have it be roasted, then roast it. I fear that mixing the wet with the dry will produce a suboptimal outcome, but if you've done it before, do it again and ignore me.

Comment

Question: has she tasted a brisket cooked by you on one of your cookers? She just might not know what she is missing.

If she does, then I agree with PKB.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
        Question: has she tasted a brisket cooked by you on one of your cookers? She just might not know what she is missing.

If she does, then I agree with PKB.
        No she has not. But that is not her fault. I have not tasted a brisket cooked by me. I have been part of this community since April. Prior to that , I would never have thought to do a brisket on a cooker. CONFESSION; 1 cooker ,my Genisis LX II 3 burner. I do hope to expand in the spring with Weber Kettle or WSM.
        I am not new to this with my Weber Silver which I had for 13 years and still going stronge with my daughter. Until I joined you I had no idea what I did not know. Now I know how much I do not know. Trying so hard to fill the the void.

Comment

I cooked many corned beef style briskets on St Paddys of past in a crockpot. They were pretty good. You should do it her way and then try smoking one next time. That way you can both compare the results of the two methods.

Comment

Thanks the next one will be my method. But it will most likely be spring. That's OK. May be on the new cooker. Got to ease into the weeds. It took me 30 plus years to figure out.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup just keep comin along, sounds like you’re doing just fine then with your plan. Smoke on. 🕶

I understand what you're going through. My wife thinks pulled pork can ONLY come from a crock pot.

Comment

RichieB my wife made me go into convulsions last night. I’m planning on cooking a rib roast for Christmas dinner and thought about doing Meathead’s garlic mashed potatoes. Until my wife says to me ‘I had lunch with mom at Cracker Barrel so on the way out I ordered green beans and hash brown potato casserole something or other to go with the rib roast.’ Now, I like Cracker Barrel ok but NOT WITH MY CHRISTMAS RIB ROAST. I lost.

Comment

• RichieB
                RichieB commented
                Editing a comment
                Thats got hurt.

• ssandy_561
                ssandy_561 commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe the Cracker Barrel potatoes can be "forgotten to be put in the fridge" and you can save the day with the garlic potatoes.

4lb flat, you're better off doing it slow cooker. It will still taste great. I've smoked those and not been satisfied. Too small, too trimmed.

Comment

• RichieB
                RichieB commented
                Editing a comment
                Certainly agree. But based on origan post, this was fight i was not going to win. At least i got to brine it and use the big bad beef rub. Next time its all mine.

ssandy_561 Terri, my lovely wife, her motive is a clean kitchen. I get it. I’ll make mine in the morning before my daughter and son-in-law from Boston and sister from Atlanta and Mother-in-law and Brother-in-law from down the road a piece show up. I’m going to be a little stinker for an hour or so.

Comment

Update: "Success! Brisket dry brined overnight, rub on about 800. In slow cooker by 900. Out a bit after 500 at 200. In broiler 5 minutes. My wife made candied carrots and roasted potatos. Put the potatoes in broiler with brisket. Nice crisp crust. Bark on meat just right. Added BBQ sauce and water to cooker when cook began. Made a great ajuis. My 10 year old picky eater tried it. He couldn't get enough.

I did go on record at the table, next one is all mine on the gasser.

Sorry no pics. To hectic with 3 grandsons 10,7 & almost 2.

Best part: Quality Family time.

Sub note: used the newly acquired ThermoWorks Smoke. Looks like a good investment.

Comment

• Skip
                  Skip commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good job! You made the best a touchy situation and it sounds like everyone was happy!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very nicely navigated, through rocky waters, Brother!

Even though I break this rule from time to time it is best not to experiment on a big event. You did right. Congratulations!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here