Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Ox Tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Ox Tails

Ever since I saw Troutman's post on smoked osso bucco ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ked-osso-bucco ), my mouth had been watering. A couple of weeks ago, our local butcher (Don's Meats for those of you in the Chattanooga area) had some pretty good looking ox tails, so I said why not?

I trimmed most of the fat off and dry brined them the night before, and used @Henrik's beef rub before putting them on the kettle. Different from the recipe - I used beef stock, red wine, and I didn't have L&P so I used Heinz Worcestershire (I know, sacrilege @Troutman), and I put the bouquet garni in at the wrong time in the process. Actually, this is the first time I have used a bouquet garni, so my wife had a great time watching me and my big clumsy hands trying to tie those herbs up. Maybe I need one of those little mesh bags. Anyway, on the kettle for awhile at 225 (about an hour and a half with an apple chunk; the pic is right before I took them off) and in the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Served up with mashed potatoes and asparagus. These were the best ox tails we have ever had, and my wife is already asking me to make more. Thanks, Troutman.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ox1.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	606488

Name:	ox2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	606489

Name:	ox3.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	606490

Looks delicious! This is one cut that I have never had. If I ever find them, I may have to give them a try.

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Not going to be in the meat section of your local supermarket. My wife incorporates in her Thanksgiving sauce. In the past we've found them at Wegmans. But usually have to order. And request not previously frozen. Make sure you ask, they won't offer that info.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      They are pretty common around here. The ones we had were frozen, but they still came out great.

Yes, that dude Troutman sure knows how to cook

Looks great, and I can highly recommend smoking ox tails. Way to add flavor!!

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! Every time I think I'm getting really good I force myself to visit the 'Show us what you are cooking' thread in order to be humbled.

Niiice!

Comment

Wow that does look good, I'm loving doing this with veal, lamb and beef. I just now found some pork shanks that I'm going to do next. I just love braised meat and add to that smoking and boom, you got a pot of deliciousness !!! Great work klflowers

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Troutman. Like I said, that recipe is great. We will be trying versions with all those cuts, going to go with neckbones one of these times.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely the right time of year for some braising!

Looks delicious!

Comment

Great looking meal. Yep, some of the out of ordinary cuts can be the best.

Comment

For those in the Lou, Ox Tails are fortunately common. Shanks, no. Anyway, as the original, the meal looks GREAT.

Comment

Man that looks incredible. I love oxtails. Always prepared them Jamaican style and will now need to try this method.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here