Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Krogers Chuck Roast BOGO was a NOGO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krogers Chuck Roast BOGO was a NOGO

One was below average and one was just plain garbage. The garbage one had some sort of off putting fatty slimy substance running throughout the meat. No hunks of beef. Tossed it in the garbage. Ran a good steady fire at 230 and panned it at 160. Fire did get up to 265 at this point. Took roast it up to 205.

Any ideas on what I cooked?

Do you think it would do any good to back to Kroger and talk to the butcher? Might get a replacement Chuck out of it...

Comment

• aucivil
      aucivil commented
      Editing a comment
      They don't butcher in my local Kroger anymore.

Of all the meat departments in my town, Kroger is LAST on the list as a go to for meat. I agree, you should have taken that back immediately.

Comment

• aucivil
      aucivil commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too but got pulled in by the buy-one-get-one. One born every day.

Kroger's are run as Ruler Grocery in St Lou. Went in one once. I do not have the stomach to go back.

Comment

BOGO meat just screams "We have over ordered this cut, so it's better to get something for it than throw it out since our margins suck anyway". And, yeah, a Kroger meat counter with no on-site butcher is a thing to avoid.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        I can count on really good choice meat at our Krogers (there are three of them where I live.) All have butchers on hand. Shame to hear that Kroger isn't reliable in other places.

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Thing is, they probably don't have an actual butcher on hand. The staff at the butchers counter are meat cutters who are just portioning out commodity primal cuts. Maybe they have an actual butcher running the joint, but...

So: "Any grocery store meat counter without an onsite meat cutting operation putting meat packaged in styrofoam trays out for sale is suspect, because grocery store margins are really low."

I wasn't actually calling out Kroger per se.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here