Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brisket done 5 hours early!!!! What do do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brisket done 5 hours early!!!! What do do?

Brisket advice needed. Just pulled a brisket off my pellet smoker for a dinner that's not unitl 6:30 pm tonight--5 hours from now. I've got it wrapped in towels in a cooler but I'm concerned temp is going to drop too much to put the meat into a danger temp zone. What to do? Put in frig and then reheat? Thanks for any suggestions

keep it wrapped, put it in the oven at like 170, relax

Comment

It will be fine. Leave it alone. I often hold longer than that. I actually LIKE a ling hold (4-6 hours).

Comment

To ease your mind, keep a temp probe in it.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          If it gets close to 140*, move it too your oven at it's lowest temp - normally 170*.

No worries, if it's wrapped up tight, as mentioned above, low-temp oven will be fine.

Comment

You might be surprised just how long the temps will stay up in the faux cambro. Keep monitoring temps and you might be olay. If you have a remote thermometer it really helps. Things I have done to keep temps up include

1. Adding a hot source into the cooler, like boiling water in a jug or hot water bottle.
          2. Place meat wrapped in the oven set around 170 degrees
          3. Use a turkey roaster set on the warm position and place the wrapped meat in it. (This one worked really well)

Comment

Happened to me on Thanksgiving. I had it in a pretty small cooler and stuffed it with a towel to take up all extra space. It was nice and warm when we ate it.

Comment

I've had a brisket go right from the smoker to faux cambro and 6 hours later it was still up around 170F internal temp! You are fine with a 5 hour wait.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate so many quick replies. Makes me feel better. Called a chef buddy too and he suggested the same thing. Critical temp is 135 but that still has a four hour window before having to cool down more to refrigerate or reheat. And he suggested the oven at 170, since that is the lowest it goes. Great group to be in. Thanks!! Ill try to remember to post after the dinner tonight to give an update. Best of the holidays to everyone. Harry

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here