Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inclement weather reverse sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inclement weather reverse sear

When shopping at my local Costco saw some PRIME rib eye cap that they had rolled and tied into a type of steak. Was about 2" thick and since this part of the prime rib is probably the best part decided to give it a try. Two of them weighed a little over 3 pounds. Since it gets dark around 4:30 pm in my part of the world decided to do a reverse sear inside using my oven and a very hot skillet. Cooked the meat at 250 in the oven on a raised rack until it reached 120 degrees internal. Then took it out of the oven. In another oven had heated a cast iron skillet to 500 degrees then put it on a hot burner added avocado oil, ghee, garlic and some butter and then seared the piece of meat about 2 minutes/side. Turned out absolutely perfect from a cooking perspective. However, was a little disappointed in the meat since they had not removed all the silver skin and other connective tissue so I had some really good pieces and some that that had a tough membrane attached. Turned out to be a perfect way to reverse sear during the winter months using your oven and a cast iron skillet. The next time will just use a normal 2" boneless rib eye rather then the Costco rolled cap. Have not see this on the forum and it is a really good way to do any thick steak and not have to be running in an out to check on the grill especially in bad weather. Just need a good thermometer, probably two ovens, though could get by with one, and a cast iron skillet plus a good vent fan. Cast iron heats somewhat asymmetrical so that is why one needs to get it to 500 degrees in the oven before putting on the stove top. Always rewarding to try something new and have it work out positively.

Excellent brother! Search "rib cap" or rib eye cap"... You will find plenty of info on here. A common delicious cut! It takes some serious work to properly remove the rib cap from the "eye of rib", but well worth the time. I know PaulstheRibList did a fantastic video a year or two ago, and it was dang dang good. There is a TON of connective tissue, silver skin, and a nail or two between the rib cap and the eye. But it is not very hard to do yourself.

Welcome brother!!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Me wonders if it may not be bro as in ma Ellison? Don’t no. Hmmm.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      You are reminding me how much fun that was and how tasty! I'm visioning a whole ribeye deconstructed to a Cap VERY SOON!

Just so happens Thermoworks did a very nice write up on the rib eye cap. How to remove on from the whole rib eye roast to cooking one. Here's the link.

I have 2 in the freezer now and have cooked several in the past. I put mine in the stick burner until about 120 or so. Then I open my fire box lay a grate over it and sear it on the open fire. Fantastic.

I like your idea and it is nice having a double oven isn't it?

Comment

Can't find my thread from a couple years ago, but here is the video. https://youtu.be/uVefRNEXBrw

It takes a few minutes to trim all that silverskin and sinews away, but so worth it! Loved your experiment maellison !! and thanks for the reminder lonnie mac

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here