Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USDA Choice Beef Eye of Round Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USDA Choice Beef Eye of Round Roast

So I have never boughten one before, but at the local grocery store they had a special 1.99/lb that I just couldn't pass up. On a side note, I have a new Primo oval that is about 3 weeks old that Id love to utilize to cook something awesome with this 6.5 lb roast I bought for $13 bucks, lol. Problem is I never even heard of an eye of round roast or cooked one. Anyone have experience with this cut of beef? Any help would be appreciated, plan on cooking it Sunday.

Check out the Italian Beef and Baltimore Pit Beef recipes on the public side of the site. Those are your best bets if you don't have an SV machine. Very lean beef that requires special treatment.

Comment

• Pfunk1977
      Pfunk1977 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am going with the Chicago Italian Beef recipe.....just got home with my new meat slicer from Bass Pro!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds great. Send along your impressions! @Pfunk1977

George Clinton - the Man!

• Pfunk1977
      Pfunk1977 commented
      Editing a comment
      putting on some Clinton right now......roast on primo...super excited!

There she is
    Attached Files

Comment

Treat it like a prime rib! I've done several. They are tougher and drier, but that's why they're cheaper, and THAT'S a great price says me. Dry brine couple days, us eMeathead's Mrs. O'leary's Cow Crust, take to 135 medium-rare via reverse sear, and make sure to do a board sauce. Yum! Cheap good eats for you.

Here's one I did a while back:

Click image for larger version

Name:	eye of round board sauce.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	603987

Comment

• Pfunk1977
        Pfunk1977 commented
        Editing a comment
        that looks great, thank you so much for the info. Yeah any beef for $1.99 lb is a steal. thanks

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Not too chewy? The ones I've done tend to be tough. Great beef flavor, but a workout for the mandible. I'll SV if/when I try another one.

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        And make sure to slice thin! Those are quite tasty, even if they do have a little more chew.

Makes perfect jerky

Comment

• Randy-Phx
        Randy-Phx commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I use it for. Jerky!

I've never done one, but it seems to that the key would be to slice very thin.

Comment

I wonder about sous vide'ing that baby. Anyone?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          The best way for this kind of cut.

Dry brine for at least a day and then reverse sear. Don’t think of going anywhere above medium rare. Finish by searing in a pan for 30-45 sec per side. Because of the leanness, it works well for roast beef sandwiches. Just slice thin

Comment

Braising in some liquid and veggies might do the trick.

Comment

I just did a smaller 1.25 lb. bottom round roast, which I assume is similar. I threw some spices on it in a zip lock freezer bag and threw it in the sous vide bath at 132F one morning before work. I took it out the next morning (22 hours in bath), put it in ice bath and after cooling into fridge with juices. Took it out tonight, made au jus, seared the meat, sliced thin, heated in au jus for french dip sandwiches on sourdough bread with horseradish. The meat was perfectly pink and tender - melt in the mouth. Very good. Best of luck with yours and please let us know how you end up cooking and the results.

Comment

I did one these a couple weeks ago using Big Bad Beef Rub and it turned out amazing. I did mine on a rotisserie. Cooked to 135 internal then let it rest for about 25 minutes before slicing. I had no complaints from the part
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here