Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Sous Vide experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fracmeister
    replied
    I bought a prime chateaubriand at 20 bucks a pound and sous vided that baby (basically a long line of filet mignons) ... seared the patootie on cast iron over a tall pile of coals with a bit of oil and some butter at the last second ... wow, nice GBD developed in about 45 seconds on each side...had to do about 5 partial rotations..

The guests were stunned. I cant imagine I could have nailed it to a perfect 127F internally across a long piece of meat in varying diameters in my pellet pooper or over charcoal.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    You can read the whole thread if you want, but comment #35 on Page 3 finally nailed it for me.

My wife and I went to NYC for our 5-year anniversary. I got us a reservation at Capital Grille before our Wicked theatre performance on Broadway. Looking at the menu, I decided on

Sous vide, cold shock, thoroughly pat dry, olive oil (I’ve tried a few different ones and this one is my favorite for searing), add steak seasoning which add some ridiculous CRUST, sear over a charcoal chimney using my "no grate technique".

The other great seasoning I’ve used is Char Crust Roasted Garlic Peppercorn. That’s also some GOOD STUFF.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Yep! I was cold-shocked the first time I heard about it! But then I tried it, and it works! Steakhouse steaks have nothing on what I can NOW create!

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    scottranda So it IS a common thing to do? You have to admit, to a noobie it sounds a bit odd

• scottranda
    replied
    Your steak coming out of the SV bath will look "sickly". Mine looks gray and ugly. But, that’s why you have to sear it.

You had a question about someone suggesting an ice bath. The reason why you SV then chill then sear is b/c you’re SV’ing to cook to a temperature "doneness" that you like, but you still don’t have a sear/crust. So you don’t overcook it by searing it after your "done" temp, you cold shock it, so when you sear it, it won’t overcook.

Further, the only cautionary thing is you need to pat the steak dry after SV and cold shocking it. Butter has a lot of water in it and that doesn’t allow you to get a nice crusty sear. I pat mine dry with a paper towel then use some oil to help with the sear.

Leave a comment:

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    JeffJ I feel better now. There are stories of guys doing gas grills in their garages and they often die doing that.

• JeffJ
    replied
    wcpreston

I pull the smoker just outside of the garage and leave the door to the garage open. I leave the smoker outside overnight and pull it back into the garage the next day.

It sits just under the overhang. If the weather is really bad I'll move the smoker to the front porch which is covered.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    wcpreston same basic idea!

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    JeffJ you smoke in your garage? Surely you open the door or something. Seems like a recipe for disaster if you don't.

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    EdF Isn't it like lower and slower? (e.g. 135 instead of 225) So it makes what might be an even tougher piece of meat tender?

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    RichieB That just sounds weird to me. Bring it to 135, then chill it, then cook it again? That just seems odd. Is this a common sous vide practice?

• randy56
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for all your input, on my list to get one.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    My biggest gripe about living in north Alabama in the winter is that our winter consists of lots of wet rainy days, with temperatures in the 40's. Usually not cold enough for snow, its just wet, cold and muddy outside. No one likes tending the grill in the rain. So, as EdF says, why suffer?

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris - Real Men (tm) don't care about their man card (we know its status). Why suffer unless you're in the mood for it, right?

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Like Davek8282 said, try some of those tougher roasts of beef, lamb, etc, and be amazed!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here