Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Sous Vide Que Steak Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I’m not one of those “Why do I live where the air hurts my face?” types, but I try not to be outside when the wind is blowing in December, more than I have to be.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Spoken like a man who lives in Chicago!

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    If I were searing directly from Sous Vide, I would shock as Troutman and Fzxdoc do, dry it hard, sear it, and maybe use some pellets for close proximity smoke flavor if I were so inclined.

But really, my best searing comes from my cast iron pan super heated. So if I just want sear, no smoke, I’m not going outside.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Well, I'm going to continue to leave the fridge step out unless I have too much steak and want to go the leftover/reverse sear route. I don't usually make batches of protein as Potkettleblack describes, for future lunches or quick dinners. It sure would come in handy for that use, though.

For the way I cook, sous vide is convenient enough when guests are expected or when I have to have dinner on the table at a certain time. Sous vide-ing, flash chilling, and then putting in the fridge overnight is not really a timesaver for me in those scenarios. If anything, doing a reverse sear from fridge temps is more time consuming and bears watching while I'm trying to enjoy cocktails with my family/guests.

I use the method similar to that described by Troutman: SV then "protein chill" for only about 4-5 minutes if that. Just enough to chill the surface a bit before the sear step. Works for me.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; December 6, 2018, 08:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    I'm with you Kathryn. Putting in the fridge overnight and then reheating, that's called leftovers in my house :-)

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Adding a reverse sear after a ice bath and fridge rest can add some smoke flavor (you have cold wet steak) and dries out the surface nicely for the sear.

But it I hardly ever do this because the difference isn’t a lot from a plain sear.

If your steak is 2” or more, and you want to finish it at a later date, it will still be cold in the center with a fast sear so you could do a reverse sear if you don’t want to warm it up in the SV. That would be a reason for the small smoke flavor advantage.

For thinner steaks i just go straight from fridge to sear.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    I generally batch cook steaks and such, shock them and then sear them at a later date.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    at 131, puts the steak to ~70 deg, in my experiences with the thickness I used, and then back up to 120-130 was PERFECT for me regarding that grill flavor I was after.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I think a person could tailor the 'chill level' to the smoke/grill flavor level they're after. The colder the meat after chilling, the longer of course it takes to get back where you want=more grill/smoke flavor. I don't SV steaks often myself (still fan of just grilling the darn things, call me crazy) but in my experiences of varying 'chill' levels, chilled for 30min in ice bath after SVing...

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I agree. I like to front sear steaks & burgers myself. A little less smoke taste, and (to me) easier to slowly rise to finish temp indirectly than race to finish temp while searing. As for fridging overnight then searing, I dunno, unless a person was pressed for time, or maybe it's simply a theoretical "you *could* do this if you wanted".

• Troutman
    replied
    Well I guess this is my take on things. When I SV a steak to say 115*, pull it out of the bath immediately and slap it onto a hot sear station or grill, I've found that the temperature rise occurs too quickly prior to the Maillard reactive browning really taking hold the way I like it. In short I tended to over run my 130* target and overcook the outer portion of the steak.

To me then doing a flash chill and calming down the proteins a little ("chill proteins"), buys me more time to let it sear the way I want it while maintaining as close as possible that nice pink edge to edge finish inside.

Otherwise, I tend to agree, unless timing compels you to do so, cooking via SV, completely chilling, then starting the re-heat process from cold meat seems redundant. Maybe Potkettleblack has some words of wisdom otherwise but I'm sticking with the method above. Works especially great on thick cuts like tri-tip or pichana.

Here's an example of a picanha done recently via the method I described. Got a bit of browning on the edges but still done exactly the way we like it .......

Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Picanha 03.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	668.2 KB
ID:	602909

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    I SV then dry off as much as possible then sear on cast iron skillet or hot grill. When I have time I prefer reverse sear on a grill than SV for steaks. Chicken SV rules.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskee View Post
    I've taken right from SV bath to hi heat grill, and it wasn't as good IMO.
    I agree. SV to a very hot grill (mine gets 500-600°F plus) does not allow enough time for a good crust to form. But SV with a quick chill and then the super hot grill allows for a great crust and wall-to-wall red (or whatever other color appeals). I just don't get the reason for essentially reheating a steak by SV-chill-fridge overnight-reverse sear.

Reverse sear is great, but it bears watching, which is not what I want to do when making steaks for a bunch of folks while trying to get the rest of the meal to come together at the same time. That's the beauty of sous vide. The meat is not the boss of you. When I have guests (or even just family), it's so much easier to sous vide, quick chill, then sear. Rewarming meat on a grill from fridge temps is just not my idea of how to respect the steak.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    115 from raw is VERY rare, but if you like that, cool. SV cooks them first, and holds them at temp to tenderize.

When I do the SV-chill-grill, I didn't chill overnight I just chilled for half hr then grilled up to temp. Reason for that is grill flavor. I've taken right from SV bath to hi heat grill, and it wasn't as good IMO.

Leave a comment:

• RichieB
    replied
    from another post regarding SV by wcpreston titled - My first Sous Vide experience

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ide-experience

my add was;

December 3rd, 2018, 06:09 PM

I've had good success with red meat. The one step I add is an ice bath for about 15 minutes prior to the sear. No chance for it getting past your desired internal target temp. It has worked for me.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}