Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enjoying my new kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying my new kettle

Now I get why so many people are so enthusiastic about cooking on a kettle. My 4th cook on the kettle and with a fair breeze in the windy city of Port Elizabeth things went like a breeze. Even though I am still a learner driver on the kettle I wanted to try something different with my cook and smoked in the 300 to 320F range. I usually run my vertical gasser at 240.
    Used real charcoal clumps not briquettes and not too sure if I will again as they burn a lot faster than briquettes but then again I find the briquettes we get have a paraffin type of smell and I detect same flavour in the meat when done. It’s not bad but I have a dislike for it.
    I had to place more charcoal about 5 hours into the cook and after doing that my kettle ran slightly higher than my target temp for an hour or so.
    Total cook time for pork belly (MMD) was around 4 hours and the beef short rib (S&P) close to 8 hours.
    The pork belly was excellent.
    The beef rib was bought for me when I did the 40th birthday party 2 weeks back and I already had determined before that cook that the meat was substandard and I wasn’t expecting a good result this time either. I did pull the ribs a little early when the temp was at 195 and only the bottom muscle was probe tender.
    The top muscle was dry and the bottom reasonably tender and moist. I fear it needed to go that little extra and rest in cambro, unfortunately neither happened. I know it should but time wasn’t on my side. "Loadshedding" was to happen and the family was hungry. Naturally they all said the beef was good but I know better.

That said I love cooking on my kettle even with all its small faults.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_152824.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	601000

Belly

Name:	20181202_152916.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	601001

Beef Rib

Name:	20181202_190737.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	601002

Name:	20181202_190419.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	601003

The classic kettle is still around for a good reason

Comment

Killer cook! Gotta love the kettle

Comment

if only I'd known the capabilities of these simple things back when I was burning hot-dogs and overcooking burgers perhaps I wouldn't have spent so much money on other junk just to circle back to what I already had. Then again, the journey is the fun part of the story.

Comment

Beast of a beef rib, sure you didn't raise a mammoth?

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Was about 5.5 pounds but disappointing quality

Super!

Comment

Kettles rock!

Comment

I think I’m gonna get a kettle just because they are fun!

Comment

• Deaf Arty
                Deaf Arty commented
                Editing a comment
                Do it! You won't regret it.

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Fun they are.

You rock that cook it looks Delicious and Nutritious

Comment

Topper definitely gives his seal of approval!!

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Sir but my approval for belly only.

Definitely upgrade your upper grate to one with hinges for reloading fuel. If you have the 22.5 kettle, consider the gourmet grate system. You'll double your kettle happiness with either.

The pic below shows a centered indirect cook using both of the $ 15.00 / set Weber briquette baskets. Some don't like them, but I do although I have the more expensive fuel cages on my performer. I used a cookie sheet cut in half to create the zones.

When you setup this way, spin the lid so the upper vent is at 12:00 o'clock and the outer temp gauge at 6:00.

These are shots of the setup for Lucille's first cook, a big pork picnic. I put 1" of water in the 13" x 9" drip tray.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Weber 2-zone.jpg Views:	10 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	601154
                Last edited by JGo37; December 2, 2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• marshall
                  marshall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  is there really any setup you don't have!!

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That kettle looks suspiciously clean

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Was thinking you were going to end off by saying don't worry I have a few extras of each they're in the post (not this post). Ever impressive setup. I've done the foil tray thing too.Looking into extras now that I've bonded with my "loosewheel"

ecowper not any more...

Name:	tnf 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	601240

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice!

It's amazing how little the kettle has changed over the course of several decades. They kind of just nailed it out of the gate.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here