Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Tri Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Tri Tip

Cooking my first Tri Tip. Plan is reverse sear. 250 in the Egg with apple and cherry chunks. Cook until 130 then sear on the spider woo with cast iron grate.

OMG it's amazing

Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_2929.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	600481
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Old Glory; December 1, 2018, 06:13 PM.

It's going to be good.

Comment

Prepare for an eye opening revelation :-)

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Glory Tri-Tip is a very central CA thing. I grew up eating grilled Tri-Tip all through the summer

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it was an epiphany. Amazing. Tender Juicy smokey beefy.

• Bumby
        Bumby commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Glory those of us on the East Coast in the know are...

Love it. With tri tip I go anywhere from 120 to 140. Even cooked to medium it us still excellent.

What are you using for seasoning? I love big bad beef rub on my tri tips

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        My favorite thing to do to Tri-Tip is dry brine for 24 hours and then coarse pepper and granulated garlic and use oak in the fire. BBBR is pretty darn good, too. And I have a Santa Maria style rub from my dad that is pretty good, too.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        S&P&GP never fail. I have some really good SM rubs, but haven't thought of using BBBR, I will next time. Also, Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust would be good, maybe better.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike Tri-Tip is so big and beefy that something like BBBR is great on it. BUT I prefer to just lightly do S/P/G and let the beef stand on its own :-)

Beautiful looking tri-tip! if you want to be totally Santa Maria style .... crusty bread, piquito beans, green salad

Comment

O so Beefy! Tri-tip is a treat, yours looks great!

Comment

Oh man, at first I thought you might overshoot the cook with your plan, but dang that is how it's done my Brother!!!!

Comment

Yup, homerun in first at bat. 👍👍👍

Comment

Thanks guys! I thought it would be chewy like London Broil. This was very tender and super flavorful. I am amazed I haven't tried this before.

I actually took it off at 127. Worked out well!
              Last edited by Old Glory; December 2, 2018, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Tri tip is the Bomb

Comment

That looks very good.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I got this from seriouseats.com I love this on a tri-tip.

1 teaspoon ground black pepper
                    2 teaspoons ground cumin
                    1 tablespoon paprika
                    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
                    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                    1 tablespoon dark or light brown sugar
                    2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
                    1 tablespoon Kosher salt
                    1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Comment

Looks great! Here in California tri-tip is plentiful, and I cook it often. Reverse sear is perfect on this cut. I usually take it to ~115°F before searing. BBBR is fantastic. Traditional Santa Maria rub is salt, pepper, and garlic. Can’t go wrong either way, though I never use a rub with sugar on beef.

Now that youve tried it, you’ll find yourself cooking more of them than you imagined!

Comment

Being in SoCal, my first inclination is to reply with a completely factious, "Well, yeah." LOL It’s just such a normal/regular thing here that it’s always kind of amazing that it isn’t on the menu everywhere.

Yours looks great.

My fave "go to" is the traditional salt, pepper, and garlic...cooked with coast live oak (Quercus Agrifolia), one of about 50 varieties of "red oak" if I can remember to have it on hand. Simple & tasty.

Comment

Beefy Nirvana! I love me some Tri-Tip!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here