Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Hold Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Hold Over

I am cooking a Brisket tonight for my sons birthday tomorrow.

The first question is, when it's done on the smoker, should I leave it in butcher paper and wrap it in towel and into the cooler, or remove the paper and move it to foil and wrap in a towel before going in the cooler?

The next question is, my smoker has a setting to hold at 165*F. Should I leave it in the paper and just set the grill to 165 and let it hold there until ready to cut, and skip the cooler altogether? (I've never tried to hold it on the grill before. Not sure if this is even a good option).

From what I have learnt here having asked a similar question is its all ok as long as the temp remains steady at 165.

Comment

I have found that in faux Cambro juices may really build up. I think the butcher paper could get messy. I hold in HD foil, with the folds on top, not the bottom, to collect the liquids. Open it slowly and carefully in something that will also hold the liquids. Gravy, Au Jus, etc.

I have figured out where to set my table top roaster to hold at ~ 165F. The pan lifts out. I put a lifting rack in it, foil wrap my victim, set a warm towel on top to go between the meat and the lid. I lift the pan out and move to a big trivet when I unwrap. The roaster has vent holes in the lid that can take in a temperature probe. They run ~ $ 40.00 when on sale.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nesco Table Top.jpg Views:	8 Size:	9.1 KB ID:	600402
      That said I'm now wondering why we don't all hold our meats in SV? Any thoughts?

Comment

• snobles
        snobles commented
        Editing a comment
        What is SV?

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi snobles I AM sorry, I should have spelled it out at first use. Sous Vide. Using precisely controlled water temperature to heat a vacuum sealed bag of food to exactly that temp, then keep in the bath until pasteurized. Longer for other effects, like breaking down connective tissue. Potkettleblack is one of our go-to members for SV discussion.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally, if I were trying an SV hold, I wouldn't have a problem with cutting the meat into pieces that would fit the bags I have. It would probably be something like 3.

Sous Vide

Comment

Sous Vide 165 is different than 165 on a grill. Different thermal properties. I’d probably Cambro hold in foil, seam up.

Comment

I usually keep it in the butcher paper and wrap the whole thing in foil to hold.

Comment

Wrap the whole package in foil, unless there is a ton of liquid. Then drain it, rewrap it foil it and then hold.

Comment

If you have a strong, dark bark, you can hold in foil with the jus. If you prefer to keep the jus separate, that's ok too.

You can leave in the butcher paper and wrap that in the foil if you want. I work hard to get that wonderful bark, and the more you have to touch and move it, the more of that bark you rub off. I define my processes on how to keep more bark.

How long are you going to hold? Your feaux cambro is good for a few hours, maybe 3, depending on how insulated your unit. If your situation permits, I'd go with Cambro and hold. Keeping on any heating device will evaporate some moisture from your brisket. If you're going longer than 3 hours, then you may not be able to keep your heat up enough. Must stay above 140 to keep in the safe zone. You get 4 hours after you first dip below 140 degrees.

So fun!!!

Comment

I've been having good results putting butcher paper covered in a XL zip lock bag then wrapping in towels. About 2 hours in faux Cambro, then take the brisket out. The bag makes a great place to put the messy paper to get it out of the house. The juices are right there in the bag if you want them. Your towels and Cambro are still clean also.

Comment

Get yourself some steam table pans of different sizes. A couple full size and a couple half sizes are a good place to start and may be all you need. They are perfect for holding briskets or pork butts. You will not lose a drop of juice and they hold longer. I pre warm mine on top of the smoker before I put the meat in to then be put in the Cambro. Plus they are very useful for so many other things. I have multiple pans of all sizes and use them daily in cooking.

One caveat here is you may have to buy a slightly larger cooler than what you may have in order for the pans to fit for a faux Cambro. Better yet if you see yourself doing things things that need to be held frequently look into buying a Cambro. Keep an eye of Craigs List as they will sometimes show up there you can but one off Amazon or other place for a couple hundred bucks. I've held pork butts in my Cambro for 14 hours and they still probed right around 140.

Comment

Depending on what else is being cooked, I either hold in my oven at 170 or in a faux cambro set up. Either way, I wrap the brisket in foil as tight as possible. If your smoker has a setting for 165, that’s an awesome choice, actually. I like to hold at 165-170 for 1-2 hours, but can go longer if I need to. I like to slice at about 150, so I let the brisket set on the cutting board for 5-10 minutes after I pull from the hold.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up turning the grill to 165 and leaving it in the paper and it turned out just fine. I was really nervous to try something new when I have a lot of people to feed.

I didn't want to share the burnt ends so we had them for late breakfast. Burnt ends and eggs are really good together. Click image for larger version

Name:	burntends.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	601288

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here