Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Advice

I'm planning a whole packer cook starting later this evening and have a question for the pit. My last brisket was tasty save for the bottom (closest to the fire) which was like leather. Someone sensibly suggested cooking fat side down so the fat can act as a heat shield. Sounds good. However, this means cooking with the point down and the flat up if I've got my cow anatomy correct. Somehow this doesn't feel right to me. As it's an overnighter, I won't be doing much flipping of the brisket. Looking forward to thoughts and input from the pit.

what are you cooking on and what type of fuel?

Comment

Lump on a Primo ceramic grill. I'll have the heat defectors in and I plan to inject the brisket. Trimmed it's still a 15+lb beast.

Comment

I keep Eric’s post as a bookmark. He answers a lot of questions people have. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method

Comment

Donw that was a great article from ecowper , I remember reading it when it posted.

I don't know how to use a Primo. So with that in mind you've got to get the brisket into a heat bath by cooking it indirect to get consistent doneness (that should be a word) top to bottom, side to side. Once you figure out how to do that on your cooker, you'll get the results you want.

Comment

The key is to cook indirect .... however, I’m not a Kamado guy, so not sure who you best set this up for indirect on a Primo ..... maybe one of our Kamado folks, like EdF, can chime in.

Also, thanks JGo37 and Donw, that’s quite the compliment

Comment

Definitely fat down. However when going fat down, that thinner part of the flat (that rides up the point) seems to dry out more than I like before I get the overall bark I want. I plan to combat that next cook with spritzing.

Comment

Personally, for this one, I'd split off the point and put it on a grid extender, and put the flat fat side down. You can then cook them independently.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
                  EdF, that's good council. Just so happens I recently received grid extenders as a b-day gift, so I can put them to good use. I've separated the point and flat and, as it's no longer one clod of beef, it will cook quicker. So instead of the overnight-er I was planning, I think I'll just get up early and get it going. Hopefully have pics to follow.

Comment

Fat down. Be sure to over inject the flat. Come back and inject the flat from the top (i inject the nonlipids from the side with a multihole needle) with oil or some kind of fat such as tallow. Crutch

Comment

Interesting advice on fat down on a Kamado .... I always cook fat side up on the Hasty-Bake of WSM when cooking a brisket.

Comment

• texastweeter
                        texastweeter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Keep the fat and the point (if on an offset) towards the heat.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here