Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dry aged, boneless strip loin on a Weber Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dry aged, boneless strip loin on a Weber Kettle

Planing to cook a 5 or 6 lb dry aged boneless, strip loin on 22" Weber for Christmas Eve. I know that dry age cooks much faster, but can anyone give me some tips in terms of time, temp, or anything else. I did a "regular" one a couple of years ago. Followed Meathead's technique for standing ribs roast and it came out perfect. Its a lot of $$'s and don't want to screw it up!!!! Thanks all.

I'd do the low and slow indirect to 15F less than your desired doneness (say 120 for medium rare). Then direct for the sear. Very roughly speaking, you're probably looking at 2+ hours for the indirect part, assuming 250F or so. But it depends on the thickness of the piece more than its weight.

Comment

Thanks EdF. I plan to use the SNS like I did for the regular one. I did read that due to dry aging which takes out a lot of moisture, it is recommended to med rare only. I seem to have a "timing" problem in that my meats are always done to soon or too late! That is one of my concerns with cooking dry aged.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Does tend to take less time, but I haven't found it to be substantially different. (I've done steaks and a couple of small roasts).

Good to know....thanks.

Comment

One other question for anyone. Should I dry brine the roast? Seems like brining would dry out the already dry aged meat

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't think it would hurt for an overnight, but don't think it would add anything either. Save yourself the trouble.

I dry brined and aged a beef eye of round packer for 2 months and made it in a kettle on indirect a couple weeks ago.

I salted it with coarse kosher once. Wrapped it in wax and butcher paper, and put it in the fridge @ 39F for 2 months.

I sprayed EVOO on it, and herbed it up, and put it in the kettle cold, with the kettle running an average of ~ 240F on the grate outside the cool zone. I want to say it was around 8 lbs?

It was done fast, just under 2 hours? Shocked me but I was carrying a remote for the probe. So, it didn't have heavy bark or a deep smoke ring - that I'd like to change. I sliced it 2" thick at 125F and then seared.

I dunno. Maybe I should wrap it and let it rest before slicing and searing? Maybe inject with beef broth before seasoning? Don't get me wrong, it was really good. But it wasn't great, so do something differently than I did. I'm just not sure what yet.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          OK. If you want speculation. I'd take it to about 125 at 225 or so. Then a sear. Then slice as thin as possible. Following the Italian Beef or Baltimore Pit Beef recipes on the public side should work. The dry-aging just means paying attention to the specified temps a bit earlier.

As far as speculation goes, I'm a very good guesser!

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF I did in fact thin slice leftovers. Those were great. I was going for boneless tomahawks, in a sense. Hence the 2" sears. You're right about lower - which is harder. I still think I can get there, someday, for here.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          But the Tomahawk approach will probably only work for that cut if you SV it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here