Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nigerian Suya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nigerian Suya

This month's Hot From the Pit requested my Nigerian Suya recipe. Well...ask and ye shall receive.

First some background. Suya is a traditional Nigerian street food of beef kebabs seasoned with Suya Pepper before and after cooking, then served wrapped in newspaper with chunks of raw tomato and onion. It has a very earthy flavor due to Kuli Kuli (dried, ground peanut cake), and heat from the peppers. A Nigerian friend in the UK over at the KK forum put several of us onto it at about the same time that Milk Street featured it in an issue. The Milk Street recipe has you make your own Suya Pepper from scratch and, while very good, isn't quite authentic.

So what is in Suya Pepper? It is a blend of ground, dried roasted peanuts (Kuli Kuli), ginger, African negro pepper, other ground peppers, and secret stuff. Respectable suya stands never divulge their recipes, so nobody really knows for sure.

What cut of beef do you use? My Nigerian friend's research resulted in: whatever you have on hand. I like flank or skirt.

So how do *I* make Suya? If you aren't lucky enough to have a Nigerian friend send you some from Lagos, you buy Suya Pepper from Bazaar Spices. This is very close to the real deal, but not spicy enough. Add a bit of cayenne to amp it up and you're there.
    1. Slice the beef against the grain into 1/2" strips
    2. Dry brine it.
    3. Mix suya pepper with olive oil to make a paste, then shmear it into the beef. How much you want is a matter of taste.
    4. Thread onto skewers and grill it to your taste, but anything more than medium rare is a prosecutable offense. Just sayin'.
    5. Remove it from skewers and sprinkle with more suya pepper.
    6. Serve it hot with chunks of raw tomato and onion.

In the pic below I opted to incorporate the traditional onion and tomato in the form of a board sauce with olive oil and more suya pepper. My Nigerian friend approved of this innovation, so it's legit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181118175732741_COVER.jpeg
Views:	765
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	599718

Move over Jhirshon Pequod is in the house!!!!

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks like a simply FANTASTIC recipe - nicely done Pequod!

Interesting, lots of work, but very interesting. I love ethnic foods rarely seen here.

Comment

Once you've tried suya you'll be imagining all sorts of uses for suya pepper. I haven't tried it yet, but Suya Fish Tacos are a no-brainer.

Comment

This is a Ghanaian African beef rub I posted a while back you might want to try.

I looked through some of my old grilling "braai" recipes and came across a few I thought worthy of sharing. This is one of them. It is an African spicy rub used on beef. I use rump that I’ve cubed and coat the meat with oil then roll the cubes in the rub and thread them onto skewers with mixed peppers and onion chunks in-between the meat and marinade in the fridge overnight. I cook them over hot coals for about 4-5 min turning frequently. No pic’s as my last cook was? I can’t remember
        2 cloves garlic chopped
        1 cup of roasted peanuts
        2 tsp cayenne pepper
        ½ tsp smoked paprika
        1 tsp ground ginger
        1 tsp ground nutmeg
        ½ tsp ground cloves
        ½ tsp ground cinnamon
        1 tsp coarse salt
        Blitz in food processor.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Street name is "Chichinga"

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for this!

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          FishTalesNC this is the rub I mentioned to you, who knows how long back and few other good ones as well.
          Last edited by holehogg; October 27, 2019, 01:16 AM.

Bookmarked, thanks!

Originally posted by Pequod View Post
        In the pic below I opted to incorporate the traditional onion and tomato in the form of a board sauce with olive oil and more suya pepper. My Nigerian friend approved of this innovation, so it's legit.
        I love board sauce and this sounds like a great variation.

Comment

Pequod, thanks so much for this recipe - I had never heard of this before and I'm going to add it to my blog! I came up with my own version of it - see below, but I am still going to give you total credit for turning me onto this recipe in the first place! Please keep 'em coming, I love recipes like these!

Here are my rough notes right now:

The Hirshon Nigerian Skewered Beef BBQ - Suya

Image from fridaymagazine.ae

Suya is a spicy meat skewer which is a popular food item in West Africa. It is traditionally prepared by the Hausa people of northern Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger, Ghana, and some parts of Sudan (where it is called agashe).

Suya or soya is the quintessential West African street food that is made up of well-spiced grilled pieces of meat that are mostly placed on a skewer. In Nigeria, it is called suya, in Cameroon, it is called soya, in Ghana, it is called, "chinchinga". In French it is called, "les brochettes". It is also known as "beef kebab" or "kabob".

Suya is generally made with skewered beef, ram, or chicken. Innards such as kidney, liver and tripe are also used. The thinly sliced meat is marinated in various spices which include peanut cake, salt, vegetable oil and other flavorings, and then barbecued.

Suya is served with extra helpings of dried pepper mixed with spices and sliced onions. Halal meat preparation methods are normally used, especially in the northern parts of Nigeria, where the suspicion of nonconformity to Muslim dietary prohibitions in Suya preparation has been known to cause riots. A dried version of Suya is called Kilishi. It can be eaten with Garri or Ogi.

There is no standard recipe for the production of the complex mixture of spices and additives which make up the Suya marinade (called Yaji) and the spice mix served with it. Ingredients may vary according to personal and regional preferences.

Although Suya originated in the Northern parts of Nigeria, it has permeated the Nigerian society, being affordable for all and available everywhere. It has been called a unifying factor in Nigeria.

Suya has become a Nigerian national dish with different regions claiming the superiority of their recipe and methods of preparation, but similar grilled meat recipes are common in many West African countries.

Maggi seasoning cubes - https://www.amazon.com/Maggi-Cube-Se.../dp/B003TMLVDQ

Kuli Kuli - https://ethnicdistrict.com/product/k...african-snack/

Grains of Selim - https://www.bazaarspices.com/bazaar-...-pepper-detail

Fennel pollen - https://www.amazon.com/Delitaliana-P.../dp/B005YJ45SK

Kochugaru - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YQ2YNME

5 tbsp crushed Kuli Kuli (or crushed roasted peanuts)
          5 tbsp ginger powder
          2 tbsp Korean hot pepper flakes, known as kochugaru + 1 tsp. cayenne powder (TFD change - original called for cayenne flakes, which aren’t easy to find)
          10 strands of African Negro Pepper, also known as Grains of Selim or Uda
          2 tbsp black garlic powder (TFD change - original called for regular garlic powder)
          1 tbsp smoked paprika
          2 tbsp onion powder
          1 small Maggi seasoning cube
          1 tsp whole cloves
          ½ tsp ground white pepper
          1 tsp kosher or sea salt
          1 tsp fennel pollen - TFD addition, not in original recipe
          1 ½ pounds boneless beef short ribs, frozen 20 minutes and very thinly sliced lengthwise

12 wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for an hour
          TOMATO SALAD
          1 ¼ pounds ripe tomatoes, mixed colors, preferably heirloom
          1 red onion
          2 tbsp olive oil
          1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
          Flaky Maldon sea salt and black pepper
          salted roasted peanuts for garnish

Start by crushing the Kuli Kuli in the spice grinder. Once you have a coarse powder, add the remaining ingredients, one by one. It might help to slice open the uda pods to help the breaking down process. If making a paste, follow the same process, in which case a food processor would be more appropriate.

The powder can be stored in a airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

Add flank steak (cut into strips against the grain) into a bowl. Combine meat and Suya spice with a bit of peanut oil. Mix well.

Cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.

The next day, prepare the side salad. Slice tomatoes, discarding stems. Peel and finely slice onion. Arrange the vegetables on a serving plate. Season with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

Thread the marinated meat onto skewers and preheat the grill.

Place the skewers directly over hot side of the grill and cook for 3 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for about 1-½ - 2 minutes.

Transfer the skewers to a serving plate, and sprinkle with salted roasted peanuts.

Rest the meat for 2–3 minutes, then serve with tomato salad on the side.
          Last edited by Jhirshon; November 30, 2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

ok - final recipe is up with tons of kudos to Pequod! https://www.thefooddictator.com/the-...beef-bbq-suya/

Comment

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang, that was fast!

I’m a very fast recipe creator.

Comment

Thanx for the recipe.

Comment

This single thread & contributions by Pequod , Jhirshon & holehogg are worth the price of admission.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh....Hell....Yeah!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here