Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Steak Would You Choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Steak Would You Choose

I have $100 that is burning a hole in my pocket. I’m going to order a steak from Snake River Falls.

What steak would you chose and why.

I’ve never tried either kind.

American Wagyu Gold Grade Cowboy Steak wet aged for 21 days. 2 lbs.

or

USDA Prime Bone In Dry Aged Ribeye Steak. 2 lbs.

I am going to reverse sear it and finish to medium rare.

Any my feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ha Ha! I can tell you're from Ohio. You do what I do a lot: Snake River Falls! Only us thrill-seeking northerners would make that slip up.

Dang, tough choice, but I'd have to opt for no bone, that's extra meat weight.

Comment

To me wagyu has gotten to be such a boutique cut that it's kind of gotten a bit over presented imho. True Japanese wagyu is suppose to be eaten in small quantities due to its richness and fat content offset by other foods that balance out that richness, not devoured by some carnivorous dolt chomping on a tomahawk steak with a side of fries. But hey, each to his own, if that's your thing go for it.

Give me a good old dry aged Prime Cowboy steak any day of the week, that makes me a happy camper !!! Oh yea and a side of fries
      Last edited by Troutman; November 29, 2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        ...or fire-side!

Well now this comment just doesn't make any sense...

IMO both are over priced but if I had to choose I would get the Wagyu just becaus it’s harder to find.

Comment

I'd opt for the Prime Ribeye, without the bone. Plus I prefer dry aging over wet aging, but that's personal preference.

Comment

I would probably go with the dry aged ribeye out of those two. I have had most of their other meat at some point but haven't tried their dry aged steaks yet.

Comment

i would buy a prime rib roast and cut out steaks and get more bang for your buck...but that's not what you're asking

i would get the cowboy steak and not pay for a bone

Comment

Their Tri Tip is excellent if you consider it a steak and not a roast and a good value. If you can stretch the budget just a bit further go for the cap of rib eye it is a delight! I've only had it in black grade but it was worth the experience. I just got two more from them yesterday that I ordered on the bogo last weekend. Their hot dogs are also outstanding and a good value purchase. I have a hard time eating any other hot dog since I've had those.

Their flat iron steaks are great! I haven't tried their rib eyes or cowboy steaks but from my experience I don't think you will be too disappointed in what ever you get. The only thing I have been slightly disappointed in was the Kurubota bacon. Not enough smoke flavor and a bit bland for me.

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree about their hot dogs. That was the only thing I bought during their recent BOGO sale. Now to find room in the freezer for 100 wieners.

Troutman hit it right on the head. Enjoy Wagyu in small portions balanced with other ingredients on the plate, and it is a memorable meal. Too much, and it detracts from the experience.

Now, a well prepared ribeye can be nirvana on a different scale, so that is my vote. Whichever, good eating!

Comment

I was leaning towards the dry aged USDA Prime Ribeye. That’s probably what I’ll get.

I’m probably not going to do this until sometime in January. I’m also going to have a few friends over. I think I’ll get a CAB Ribeye and just a standard choice Ribeye the same thickness and do a comparison between the three steaks.

I’ll make sure I post my results.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, don't be forgetting that ribeye cap - it's a wonderful thing. One of the very best cuts!

Wow. I spent that amount (with tax) on a 13# USDA Prime NY strip loin at Fresh Market (4 hour sale), and cut a dozen 1.5" thick steaks out of it. I would be hard pressed to pay $100 on 2 pounds of meet or meat+bone. $50 per pound is just too rich for my blood.

My vote - neither. Go find some good USDA prime steaks somewhere local and save a lot of money!

Comment

• Fire Art
                  Fire Art commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Eat for a day or a week I vote week

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 on th week... Fire Art

100% go for the Wagyu Ribeyes. I have had them, they are worth it. I wouldn't spend for aged anything. Ive done that before too and it wasn't a big enough improvement , plus for that cost I could go to any number of top flight steak houses in the tri-state area. Felt like it was peter luger quality but I had to do all the work and got the same bill. So Wagyu American ribeye is the way to go IMHO.

Comment

Our local Safeway carries a few SRF products. Last night I grilled two, 12 oz. American Wagyu NY Strip steaks. They were excellent! They were about 1 inch thick, so a reverse sear really wouldn't have worked well. Just cooked them rare. The marbling is almost insane (Japanese Wagyu is insane!) I paid $24/pound for them and bought a nice bottle of cab-sav. Served with sautéed mushrooms and a spinach soufflé. The store also had SRF ribeyes for a buck-per-pound more. They were also cut to 1 inch. The New Yorks have a greater meat to fat ratio, so I went with them. I do love ribeyes, however. The meat is an extravagance to be sure, but life is short and if you can afford it - go for it!

Comment

As sort of implied by the preceding comments, I wouldn't choose either one. Why - Wagyu is traditionally enjoyed in small quantity; bone-in is above my pay grade.

I'd get a different cut of Wagyu that can be served appropriately to 2 - 4 people, and I'd source choice tomahawks locally.

I just dry aged a full packer eye of round and a full packer bone-in pork loin for 2 months. Bought really inexpensively - the loin was the richest pork I've had in my life. The eye of round I'll do again too, but smoke lower and longer. I'm saving for retirement, not meat.

Comment

My local Meat Market carries a few SRF items. I bought a Wagyu Strip and cooked on my pellet smoker to 118 degrees, then seared to finish on my gas grill to ~128. The flavor was great but I had to saw thru it and was unacceptably chewy. Tonight I bought some SRF Wagyu T-bone tails. Did them on the gas grill at ~450 degrees. Same result. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

• Donw
                        Donw commented
                        Editing a comment
                        First, welcome to the Pit since it is your first post here. How thick were the steaks?

• Red Man
                        Red Man commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don’t know what to tell you. Everything I’ve gotten from SRF has been tender and fantastic.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here