Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib roast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime rib roast question

Hey guys been awhile. Great to be back. Had a lot of crap going on and haven't cooked outdoors in like 2 months. I'm dying to do so!

I was in my grocery store getting the staples and they had choice standing rib roast for 5.99/lb. I thought that was a huge deal so I got one.

Last year I cooked one in my WSM with a little smoke at 225 then finished it with a reverse sear on the Weber kettle. Came out fantastic.

This year I have a new PBC. I'm obsessed. Do I screw around and do the whole cook on the PBC and see how it goes? Or do I do what I know works and do WSM Kettle combo? Or do I try it on the PBC and not feel bad because i got it cheap. My concern is it coming up to temp too fast on the PBC if it goes over 275.

I'll be cooking Sunday so I have plenty of time to decide. What would you do?

Well, this is purely my preference and I am not right per se, but I would skip the PBC for something you'll likely want to take to medium-rareish. I would have a few reasons for this A) waste of charcoal for such a short cook; B) Yeah, could be really easy to overshoot your target temp, but not impossible to nail perfectly either; and C) harder to get a really good sear.

Another option is for $5.99 lb go get another and try both ways and compare! That's a darn good price if you ask me.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Ill second that

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for experimenting with two roasts!

that's a toss up and I feel your pain.... I would say if your really craving a good prime rib then do what you know works, but if you wont be to disappointed if it doesn't turn out exactly how you want, try a new approach ( im sure it will still be great)
    …..or better yet go buy a second roast and do a side by side cook with pics

Comment

If your cooking for just you I would experiment. If your cooking for your mother in law or equivalent, then I would stick to what ya know to impress. The only way a person learns is to experiment. That is what makes cooking a challenge
      and be sure to take notes. My better half is always coming to me and says, ya know that roast you cooked 2 years ago with the seasoning ya made? I want that for dinner.
      Well, I’ve done about 100 different roasts since then with different seasoning so I have no idea without my notes.
      Such a challenge....I love it

Comment

If you decide on the PBC, you will need to pull it below your target temp. The higher the cook temp, the more carry over you will have. As mentioned above, if you don't mind an over cooked roast, it's up to you which cooker to use.

But if you really want to try it on the PBC, you could always by another and freeze for later when there is no pressure to produce an exceptional product.

Comment

So I did the smoke on the PBC with no wood, just over the coals. Took it off at 117. Got my kettle fired up with a full chimney. Seared 1 min aside with cold grate technique for 1 min a side x2 for a total of 8 minutes since were 4 sides the way that I tied it up.

Turned out pretty good. I made Meatheads gravy from the trimmings and bones. Turned out great! That is going to make an amazing stock for other recipes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I would say the only difference between the way I used to do it and the hybrid way I did it today is just the small bit of well done-ness on the outside near the ribeye cap and along the other side. You can see in the picture. Honestly a minimal difference. Guests didnt complain and said it was great. But then again it was a year ago since the last time we had it around Christmas time.

Cheers! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181125_171727.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	597640Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181125_171623.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	597641Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181125_181214_037.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	597642

Comment

it really looks great! That said, I tend to be a bit obsessive and do things repetively when I know it works. So, I always do my rib roast on the rotisserie in my Hasty-Bake. I know exactly how to do it so that my father-in-law says, every year: This is the best prime rib you’ve ever done Eric .... LOL

Comment

Wow. That looks great. No cook for me today, and you just made me hungry.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

that looks amazing. nice cook!

Comment

Congrats on a great cook.

Comment

Had a very nice piece of prime rib roast today as well!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Looks great. That's one I've been wanting to do, but haven't tried. Looking at yours makes me want to try it even more!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here