Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fast and Hot Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast and Hot Brisket

I've been hesitant to pull the trigger and cook a full packer brisket on my RecTec. For some reason I always balk at the amount of time it would take. Anyway, while whiling away time cruising YouTube reviewing various grilling techniques I watched one on cooking a five hour packer: two hours at 400 and three at 325-350. I'm a dedicated backyard BBQ guy with no aspirations of achieving tournament quality stuff: my family and friends are always happy with what I make. Chicken, turkey, pork butt, ribs, etc have been done on my RecTec, Weber Kettle and Weber Genesis. Brisket is my last remaining territory to be explored.

Anyway, anyone out there used Fast and Hot for brisket? If it's 80% of the taste of Low and Slow I might just try it.

Don't really know how to advise because I haven't tried it. But I tend to be adventurous, so probably will at some point. Make sure your packer is choice or better. If you can get certified Black Angus, you're probably golden!

I'm sure more qualified members will be along shortly.

Comment

I’ve done one on a Bid Green Egg. Injected with beef broth. Cooked at 250 for an hour. Slowly brought the temp up to 300 and finished the cook at 300. Didn’t wrap and it took about 6 hours. Use any grade brisket above select. Not competition quality, but good.

Comment

I am in the same boat. Read a lot about it but I have not done any controlled experiments. Will be interested to see what others have to say.

Comment

I did my first hot and fast brisket a couple weeks ago on my Traeger. Prime packer from Costco. Ran it @ 325° the whole time with the amazen tube to provide extra smoke. Wrapped in a foil pan with beef broth around 165°. I pulled when the flat got to 206° and let it rest in the cooler for 3 hours. I've only cooked a dozen or so briskets but it was definitely my best. Going to try it again to make sure it wasn't luck!

Comment

• BigD
            BigD commented
            Editing a comment
            It was a 14 lb packer. I did a quick trim and it was done and in the cooler in 5.5 hours, maybe 6.

• scottdware
            scottdware commented
            Editing a comment
            I just picked up the same type brisket a couple days ago...and am planning on cooking it this way on Thursday night/Friday! Glad to hear yours turned out great!

• BigD
            BigD commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck scottdware. Don't forget to let us know how it turns out.

Last Friday I cooked a chuckie hot and fast. I lit 15 briquettes and put them on top of a bed of lump in my 14.5 WSM. I cooked it top rack with all of the vents wide open and with the bowl removed and flipped it at the 1.5 hour mark. I pulled it just before it reached 200 internal. It wasn't quite as moist a slow-cooked chuck but I was cubing it for chili so I wasn't concerned about that. I would experiment with a smaller piece of meat first before going with a full packer.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I had the same experience with hot 'n fast chuckie cook. I smoked one hot n fast at 325° in the WSCGC and the other at my usual 275° PBC temp. The PBC one (lower temp longer time) won hands down. The hot 'n fast one was not as juicy.

Kathryn

I pretty much dont bother to cook below 250f nowdays. Check the pics on my other post today
          300f hit 350 for bit.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here. I like 270-290 for low/slow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	595039
          This is a 5 hour brisket 350 degree

Comment

• Thom Emery
            Thom Emery commented
            Editing a comment
            350 degrees on a drum
            Your pellet machine may not be able to hit the flavor of a drum or stick burner
            Worth a try

• Fayettejim
            Fayettejim commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the comment and the pic. That's the price one pays for computer controlled temperature on a 35 degree day. No question the pellet smoker has a different, milder flavor. And that brisket looks great.

Yep I have a couple pellet cookers
          for 120 degree days
          same reason 😃

Comment

That is the only way I cook briskets these days. If you follow this recipe you cannot go wrong.

Comment

I'm planning on doing one on Friday using this method. Typically I've done the "low and slow" for all my other ones. Question for you pitmasters - do you dry brine or inject when doing it hot-and-fast? Was thinking about dry brining starting today, but worried about the saltiness with the rubs (going to use Black Ops & Harry Soo's All purpose).

Thanks!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I dry brine (always), but don't inject. The wrapping takes care of the juiciness.

• Thom Emery
                Thom Emery commented
                Editing a comment
                I inject The high temp process is intense, extra moisture really helps
                By the way the better the grade the better the result for sure
                Big select grade briskets have not been that great for me going hot and fast
                We use Prime Brandt or Snake River Wagyu

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                I use grass fed as that is all there is here. Don't inject and usually don't have time to dry brine before tossing it in the pit. Use lots of water if using a wood fired pit.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here