Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Prime Rib Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Prime Rib Bones

I'll be smoking a prime rib for Thanksgiving on the Grilla, but I plan to remove the bones to increase the surface crust and to allow more smoke to be deposited on the meat. That leaves those delicious bones with some meaty goodness remaining. Any suggestions on how to prepare those? Thanks all!

They are beef back ribs. Dry brine in advance, then day of smoke, rub with hot sauce, and cover with your regular brisket rub. Smike over oak at 225 for about 3 hours, then crutch for about an hour, then remove from foil and continue smoking until tender. Hit with a light sprinkle of msg before serving dry.

Comment

smoke em! that's what i do!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181028_163744.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	594781

Comment

Thanks for asking this question! The Mrs. and I are totally empty nesters this Thanksgiving, and we're planning a prime rib roast as well. I WAS planning to get the boneless roast, but now that this thread has started I'm having second thoughts!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Get it with the bones!

Don't be too careful removing the bones . . . leave a little extra meat on the bones. Rub the day before with about 1/4 tsp/pound kosher salt and your favorite brisket rub (I use Oakridge Black Ops). Smoke at 225º - 250º for about 6 hours, or until a probe slips easily between the bones. Cambro until dinner time and enjoy.

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	594837

Name:	plated.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	594838

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said!

• jghorton
          jghorton commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice. I am a fan of the Black Ops too. I'm debating between that and a combination of Kosmo Qs Texas Beef + Cow Cover as the rub for the Prime Rib. Going to add fresh garlic and oil to one of those for a paste - we aren't much on the rosemary and thyme in my family.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep jghorton you can do other things, but ain't no better thing to be done than this.

Never posted my appreciation for the suggestions on the beef back ribs. They were incredible. Smoked them on the Grilla with cherry and pecan, after hitting them with Kosmo Qs Texas Beef + Cow Cover. The prime rib wasn't shabby either! Picked it up from Snake River Farms. Made a paste of olive oil, fresh garlic and Black Ops Brisket Rub to coat the outside; smoked until it was 130 internal. It was quite the hit, but we all agreed that the back bones were even better. Thank you again for the feedback.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice all around, both the roast and the bones. To me the bones are the bonus !!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here