Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Osso Bucco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Osso Bucco

Now that the weather is turning, dramatically so, and winter is upon us it's time for some comfort food. And what is it about tender, well cooked meat that's braised in a simple sauce of veggies, wine and stock? For the Italians and their peasant dishes, that mean Osso Bocco. At once it's as simple as a country meal while at the same time being decadent, unctuous and delicious !!

It's a one pot meal that isn't all that difficult to prepare. I decided for this cook to marry it with barbecue and kick it up a notch by combining both smoking and braising to get the needed results. The marriage is incredible. So let's make some smokey Osso Bucco.

I went to my butcher who just happened to have some veal shanks, exactly what I was looking for. Another somewhat somewhat cheaper option would be to use ox tails. The first thing you want to do is tie them up. It's a long slow process and you don't want the meat falling completely off the bone and getting lost in the braising sauce. After that dry brine and leave for several hours or even over night in the refrigerator.

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 01.jpg Views:	2022 Size:	809.9 KB ID:	591410
    Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 02.jpg Views:	1897 Size:	874.7 KB ID:	591411

When ready fire up your smoker and give them a good seasoning. I chose BBBR for this but any favorite rub would do. I put them on the smoker at 250* with some chunks of pecan for the smoke......

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 03.jpg Views:	1893 Size:	869.9 KB ID:	591412

I didn't bother to temp them, all we're doing is getting some color and smokey taste established. We'll let the braising take care of the rest, that's the tenderizing phase of our cook. Here they are after about an hour, I decided to let them go for a total of and hour and a half, again that's subjective at this point.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 04.jpg Views:	1893 Size:	604.7 KB ID:	591413

After I pulled them I set them aside to rest while I prepared my ingredients for the braising sauce.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 06.jpg Views:	1859 Size:	934.8 KB ID:	591414

They sure do look good enough to eat at this point but they still need to become tender and fall off the bone delicious, so let's make a braising sauce.

Osso Bucco Braising Ingredients

2 cups Veal Stock (or beef stock if you can't find veal)
    1 cup Dry White Wine (red wine is also good if you want an even richer sauce)
    1 cup celery diced
    1 cup carrots diced
    1 whole onion diced
    4-5 cloves garlic minced
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/4 cup Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce (has to be L&P !!)
    2-3 bay leaves
    A bouquet garni of sage, rosemary and thyme
    Salt & pepper to taste

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 05.jpg Views:	1888 Size:	921.1 KB ID:	591415

Take a heavy cast iron pot and begin by sweating down your veggies in some olive oil, seasoning this layer....

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 07.jpg Views:	1868 Size:	687.9 KB ID:	591416

After they are soft, go ahead and add your tomato paste and work it into the veggies. I like to cook the tomato paste and let it begin to cook down or even a bit of char develop. In doing so the intense sweetness of the tomato begins to emerge. Next add your liquid ingredients to de-glaze the pan and stir your sauce. Bring to a gentle boil....

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 08.jpg Views:	1870 Size:	612.4 KB ID:	591417

Once everything in incorporated, check your seasoning and adjust to taste. Add your bay leaves and bouquet garni. Nestle your veal shanks into the liquid taking care not to let them get totally submerged. At this point you can cover the pot and bring it back out to your cooker, or as I did I just put it in my indoor convection oven at 300*......

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 09.jpg Views:	1896 Size:	833.7 KB ID:	591418

I checked the meat at one hour and it was beginning to tenderize but needed another hour to finish. The results were absolutely amazing. Tender, deep beefy broth and delicious. We served them up on a big platter country style on a bed of Parmesan, buttered egg noodles. Absolute country comfort on a cold night. Try some smoked Osso Bucco, it's an amazing dish !!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 10.jpg Views:	1878 Size:	851.8 KB ID:	591419

Oh and ever wonder what Osso Bucco means? If you look it up it roughly translates "bone hole". And that's the real hidden secret of Osso Bucco, be sure to dig out the unctuous bone marrow for an awesome taste treat.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	osbuc 11.jpg Views:	1859 Size:	411.3 KB ID:	591420

THERE'S A PARTY GOING ON IN MY MOUTH...SO TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUTTA HERE !!!!
    Last edited by Troutman; October 7, 2020, 11:54 AM.

I may have said this before...but Troutman you glorius bastard

Comment

Thank you once again for the effort taken and wow wow that works my appetite.

Comment

That's a GREAT looking meal!!! (damn you) ... ...

Comment

Osso bucco is definitely on my to du list, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very impressive, and just the kind of dish that I would make. I love dishes with a nice brown braising liquid. I will try this one soon.

Comment

Excellent write up and step by step description!! This is one reason I am at the AR Pitmasters forum.

Comment

This is a fantastic dish, thanks for the writeup Troutman! I'd like to recommend smoking the veal even longer. I prefer at least 2 hours when I do it. I like to lay on some heavy smoke, as not all smoke flavor is transfered to the pot. Again, great job, very nice photos and instructions!

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I originally wanted to shoot for 2 hours but the shanks were a bit small and we're looking kind of dry, I didn't want them to tighten too much. I may go long next time.

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good call, Troutman. Great dish, I haven't done it for a while, and you provide inspiration in heaps. Will give this a try.

I now realize I need some comforting.

Comment

• PBCDad
                  PBCDad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There, there

Very nice!

Comment

WOW! Awesome! Will have to try this, thanks for the fantastic write up!

Comment

i make a smoked OB myself, and it is SCARY how similar it is...have you been rummaging around in my recipe box? Well done pardner. Try it with lamb btw...its FANTASTIC!

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, lamb!

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know, lamb is the bomb too. Veal is my first choice and if I can get them I always grab some for the freezer. Pork, lamb, even oxtails are great done this way.

outta the ball park!

Comment

Damn that looks good! I’m going to have to try to make that.

Comment

Great idea to smoke the shanks to add flavor! I've got some shanks in the freezer waiting for cooler weather. Will most definitely try your take on Osso Bucco! Thanks for the great description Troutman !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here