Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selecting Strip Loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selecting Strip Loin

Every few months when I run out, I get the pleasure of buying a whole strip loin from Costco. I got a pretty good sized one (16#) about a week ago and sliced it up, vacuum packed, and threw into the freezer yesterday. Just curious on everyone's thoughts about size. In theory, would a smaller strip loin be more marbled? Possibly a younger less developed cow therefore more fat and marbling?

Well the fact of the matter is with today's demand for beef the commodity seller (which is what Costco meat is) typically slaughter their animals at a younger and younger age to meet those demands. In essence we are closer to eating veal then a more mature cow of say 36 months which is the norm. That being said I doubt age is a factor as much as how well marbled the meat happens to be.

One other thought, you might want to dry dry aging. I typically buy whole ribeyes from Costco and dry age for 21-30 days in an Umai bag. Makes a huge difference.

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      To be honest I bought 21 day dry aged beef twice now from a butcher locally. The first time I thought...well maybe I let it sit in the fridge one too many days and that's why it doesn't taste right. Then I got it the second time and cooked it the same day...Neither my wife or myself liked it. I must not have an advanced enough pallet I guess. That "funk" I just can't get over.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      It is an acquired taste I guess. It depends upon how much pellicle you leave on the outside, it gives it a jerky taste for me, something I don't always want in my steak.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here