Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a Thanksgiving brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a Thanksgiving brisket

This will be my first brisket. I picked up a 14-pound prime brisket from Costco. Going to cook it on my Primo XL and then drive it over to my sister's house. Should be fun!
    Last edited by Attjack; November 5, 2018, 02:27 PM.

Ya got this!

Comment

Lots of brisket smoking here so let us know if you got questions.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks and I will. Going to read up a bit first then I'm sure I'll have some questions for you guys.

Oh Yeah! You got this, it is really not any different than cooking a pork shoulder. You have more than enough experience to tackle this one. Plus, brisket is way better than turkey.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, not a big turkey fan. There will be turkey there too and probably ham as well. It'll be a meat-fest.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I am with you, not a huge fan of the dirty bird. Attjack

All the things you've had to say so far & this is your first brisket? I didn't see THAT coming! You know as much about brisket as ANYONE (that's never made one).

Brine it with coarse kosher for two days. My current take is in plastic wrap for the first day and just unwrap and move it to butcher paper for the second. Take it really slow on the trim and pay attention to details. That's how my first came out OK. I 'knew' everything but having that sucker in your hands is a new experience.

HAHA - you never forget your first...

What grade do you have? (rhetorical) I am just thinking about the cap and marbling. Regardless, if you can keep the suet do that too - reducing it a day or two later to do stuff with it is a pretty cool pro to doing a brisket. Even if at 14 lbs. you may only have ~ 3 - 4 cups.

Another of my 'current' impressions is that slow rendering works with everything. So I run things on the lower median side of the 225F - 260F cook range now & embrace that a longer cook is better when deciding when to add fuel. (I think jfmorris agrees? let me know?)

My advice here? Take it or leave it. I'm as helpful, or not, as anyone. Have fun and a great T-Day.

Jim
      Last edited by JGo37; November 4, 2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I've done countless chuck roasts and pork butts, but this will, in fact, be my first smoked brisket. It's a prime brisket and I'll probably go hot an fast on the kamado.

Due to the low air flow in Kamados, is it recommended you cook at a higher temp so you ain't smoking for 20+ hours?

Comment

Your first? Wow gonna pop your cherry, be sure to get a good supply of cigars ready !!!

Comment

Do you have a rub in mind? Cow Crust, BBBR, and Dalmatian are all great choices, but my go-to lately is Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub by our own Henrik. I get rave reviews every time I use it. https://www.amazon.com/Hanks-True-BB...afide+beef+rub

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I like BBBR and am considering that or possibly just salt and pepper.

• Gunderich_1
            Gunderich_1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I recommend you go with your gut. I always do a brisket for Thanksgiving along with a bird and other meats. I use kosher or sea salt, fresh ground pepper, & garlic powder. Works like a charm every time. I tried injecting one once based on a Youtube video. Never again. My brisket critic daughter said: it was ok Dad but not your best work....lol. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting, I was considering injecting with beef broth because I saw some people including Meathead do it.

I remember my first. I had done beef ribs and pork butts but was super excited to do my first brisket. Keep it simple and it should turn out great. I like just using kosher salt and coarse black pepper for the seasoning. Any temp between 225-275 will be fine. Don't get too hung up on staying exact on any particular temperature. Start checking it for tenderness when it hits about 195 internal. Most of my briskets are good at the 200-205 range. I generally don't wrap my briskets while cooking but I do wrap after it is done and then give it a good rest for 2-4 hours wrapped in butcher paper and towels inside a cooler.

Even if it turns out mediocre it will still be better than most other things you could have cooked and will most likely be much, much better than any brisket your guests will have had before.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a Kamado and a controller so the temperature is rock solid. When I do chuck roasts I usually start checking around then. Usually, I wait until 201 actually. Definitely considering just salt and pepper. I always hold in a cooler. Since I started cooking at higher temps I have stopped wrapping butts, and chuck roasts unless my timing is off and I want to speed things up.

I think I'm going to trim my brisket today. So it's time for some basic questions. Startting with should I separate the flat from the point?

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            No. Some peoole do that, but as for me, no.

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            agree wholeheartedly!

I don’t separate. I like the fat in there for slices, but that’s me.

Comment

I don't. Cut out as much of that hard fat as you can between the layers but leave attached.

Also if I remember correctly doing prime from Costco were probe tender before 200*

Just checked my book, Probe tender as you were planning. After 200*
            Last edited by HawkerXP; November 17, 2018, 12:18 PM. Reason: incorrect info

Comment

I'm with you Attjack. Picked up a 14lb prime brisket from Costco myself. Don't have a sister though...

Comment

I would separate the point from the flat. Especially in a Kamado, where a brisket cook can go 20+ hours. I never used to separate the point from the flat, but now I do regularly. It does help with the cook and it gives you more bark.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is very little airflow in a Kamado. As such, the stall will last much longer because the rate of surface evaporation on the meat is much slower. If you wrap early, it does not apply, but if you don't, the stall can last for hours and hours. SMO

• SMO
                  SMO commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Spinaker Totally makes sense now!

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You bet! That is why we are all here, man! I hope you have a great holiday! SMO

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                I would separate the point from the flat. Especially in a Kamado, where a brisket cook can go 20+ hours. I never used to separate the point from the flat, but now I do regularly. It does help with the cook and it gives you more bark.
                So if I do that does that mean I might want to do burnt ends? And if I do then I'll need to figure out timing.

I do plan to cook it hot and "fast" I think.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Personally, I would rather just have the point as is. However, you certainly can make burnt ends. The great thing about separating, is that you can take each piece off when they are done. Then wrap and throw it in the cambror until the other piece is done.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool, maybe I will just to keep it simple and because it's my first one. That way I know how it is without doing the extra step. Thanks!

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nothing wrong with doing that, my friend. Keep it simple. Work in some variables as you become more comfortable and are able to dial in what works for you. Attjack

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here