Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third Pastrami Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Pastrami Go

For my first two pastrami cooks I used prime brisket which I corned myself. I used Meathead's Almost Katz's rub recipe, but smoked to 170F internal using plum wood, then finishing off @ 195 for 4 hours in the sous vide. I did another batch skipping the sous vide and smoking to 205F internal. That was tasty but on the dry side. For this cook, I'm using corned beef flats I bought on sale after St Patty's Day last which I have soaked for 8 hrs and now it's been in the refer since last night with the rub on. I will smoke it again using plum wood to 170F internal and finish it off in the sous vide. Drooling in anticipation
    Attached Files

Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Hope much liquid do you get in the bag with this methed

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Last time I did basically the same process as Steppy is doing I ended up with maybe two tablespoons of liquid in the SV bag.

So many meats, so many WAYS! Pastrami is on my bucket list... and also seeing how yours turns out is on my to do list.

Comment

I wouldn't take Prime to a specific temperature, especially over 200. I'd get it just reaching probe tender, then put it to hold for a few hours.

Comment

QVQ is definitely the way to go with pastrami. Much better moisture retention and overall finish. The final smoking becomes the cherry on the sundae, there for bark and flavor. No need to worry about over shooting your temps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here