Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket sell by date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket sell by date

So I finally got a Costco membership, pretty much just for the brisket and other bbq type cuts of meat. I hadn’t gotten it sooner because I’d heard my Costco didn’t have prime packers. Big thanks to rodkeary for letting me know they have them! $3.29/lb, I’m super excited about it! So... on to my question. The sell by date on all the prime packers they had was 10/31, pack date is blank. I don’t want to cook it for two weeks, so that’ll be a week and a half past the sell by date. What’s the opinion of the pit on whether I should worry about smoking it in two weeks?

Keep it in original cryovac package in fridge and you will be good. You are wet aging. Some people store to age them up to 60 days.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my reaction as well. Make sure the package is not compromised.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      + another one...

Thanks. I know I can wet age for a while, i just don’t know how long it’s already been wet aged at Costco, that’s why I was a little concerned.

Comment

You could probably go at least 40 days beyond the sell by and still be fine.

Comment

Sweet, thanks! I knew I’d probably be fine, just wanted a little confirmation from the experts.

Comment

I always have a plan, have a schedule, and then life happens. You're going to absolutely OK.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Or as John Lennon said "Life is what happens when you're busy planning other things"! Are you channeling him?

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            You know I'm not sure what prompted me to buy his post-Beatles albums on 180 gram half speed masters. Do I have a Lennon 'Monkey on my Back'? That would explain things...

Next time you see that just ring the bell and ask the butchers when the pack date was. They *should* be able to tell you. At the very least they'll tell you *a* date and you won't know the difference, lol.

But yes, when wet aging cryovaced briskets, pay no attention to the sell-by date, I believe that's simply a formality that they have to put on all perishables, but it doesn't apply here. Age as planned in a fridge under 40 degrees.

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

I would typically shoot for 30 days, because "a month" just seemed like a good timeframe to me. Jerod mentioned going 40 or more, which I was nervous about even though I completely trust him.

Then just a few months ago on April 12th I bought a 6lb flat from a local grocery store and this thing was dark red and the juice looked like Merolt and it was floppier'n a wet towel. I asked the packed on date and was told it was February 2nd (remembered that because it's my wedding anniversary). I'm no math whiz but I calculated over 2 months (it was 69 days). I was VERY nervous. I even asked if it was no good could I bring it back, "of course" they said.

That was the single most memorable flat-only I've ever eaten. It was like Wagyu (but it was just a plain-Jane Choice). Can't say I have the guts to wet age my next packer 69 days, but, assuming I was told correctly, 69 days was puuuurfect.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here