Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing for individually cut beef short ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing for individually cut beef short ribs.

I am about to embark on my first smoke of some individually cut beef short ribs. I have done racks before for about 7 hours - i am assuming that the individual ones wouldnt take as long. I am thinking 4 hours at 225f but am as green as grass on individual beef short ribs.
    Few other ??'s in my head as well are what to do with the membrane on top of the bone - do you cut it and the meat on top of it out and throw it to the crows ?

When I've done them it's taken 5-6 hours. Fortunately they have enough meat on the bone that I've been able to use a temperature probe.

Comment

I know that you have individual cut ribs but when I want to reduce cooking time, I cook rib in 2 bone sections and the time is about the same as singles. While individual ribs allow you to have more bark, I like the results better with the 2 cut as the center meat stays moister. I leave the membrane on as it holds my ribs together and I don’t object to the membrane.

Comment

If I’m in a hurry 300 indirect probe tender 200 ish internal a bout 2. 1/2 hrs

Comment

For me shorties are usually 7 hrs, and this includes 1-2hrs of faux cambro hold time. My feeling is an extra hour or two will only help them tenderize, like a brisket. If you rush it they can very likely be tough.

Do you have a picture of yours? Regarding the membrane- cook it all. Sort it out on your plate afterward & eat what's edible, which should be all of the meat.

Comment

Like others I've only done in twos or full plates. Didn't notice any difference cutting them in half timewise. I agree with the 6-7 hours time frame and then cambro. But it's really about probe tender, so time is somewhat irrelevant.

Comment

Just did a shorty cook, wasn't happy with the cut I got as there was a lot of deep fat so 4 of the 8 ribs were much thinner. I have a double probe but I couldn't find one of the inputs so just temped the smallest rib, pulled at 203 and then moved the probe. About 10 min later the larger ones were done. I also positioned the smaller ones in the cooler zones of my grill and the big ones on the warmer spots.

I went at 225 thinking they'd be about 5 hours but 6.5 hours in I jacked the temp up to 250 and finished at around the 7 hour mark with 1 hour Cambro. Meat was awesome but IMO not worth the cost or hassle. I'll try one more time with a better cut, but I'll probably stick to other meats to smoke in the future.

Comment

Depends also on how much meat was left on the bone, but I agree with Huskee that I would cambro the ribs, likely 4 to 5 hours, but you should start checking even a bit earlier for probe tender.

Comment

I cook beef ribs at 275 and have good results in less time. I think Franklin cooks his ribs at 275 and that is probably where I got that temp from.

Comment

Are these competition cut, or a broken up single rack? Comp cuts, in my experience, take 80% of the time of a full rack. Split open racks take ~ 50 - 60%. Just watch carefully your first time. I pull the membranes on beef whenever I can. These are without the membranes and after 30 mins you can see how quickly they're reacting to the cook. (the shanks are for my Boxer - Chancey - he's watching things with me and is already smiling...).
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Performer Cook 2-A.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	584598
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Harley had a good smile.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	584599

Comment

• Daniel Leigh
                      Daniel Leigh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm not sure what the difference is between the two but at a guess it was a split open rack. I ran out of time so did them in 3 hours - they were a bit tough but edible all the same.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here