Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folding Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folding Brisket?

I have seen a couple of references to it here, but no real information one way or the other. I bought a "whole" flat which is pretty thick on one end and quite thin on the other, wider end. I am toying with the idea of "folding" the thin end under to try to even out the thickness somewhat. In my mind, what I would do is cut about 3/4 of the way through the meat where I want the fold to be, fold under and tie that end with a couple of pieces of butcher's twine to keep it all together. Does anybody think this will work? Has anybody tried it? Does anybody think or know that it won't? Also, if I'm going to do this, what should I do with the fat cap on the folded under flap? Remove it so it's the same as the rest of the "meat" side? What if I sliced it off and stuck it, or some of it, in the fold? Any thoughts or suggestions or personal experiences, positive or negative would be very helpful.

DEW

I'd rather just cook it whole. The foil wrap does help even out temps. You can always cut the point from the flat too. Check out MH's brisket recipe for pics on how to cut the point from the flat.

Not saying don't do it, just that it's not something I'd try. Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

There is no point. Add I started, it is a "whole flat". The point was already removed. The problem is that the end where the point used to be is MUCH thicker than the opposite end. I can't imagine the thin end not being totally dried out by the time the thick end is done. If nobody else weighs in, I will probably just soldier on and report back.

Comment

Soldier on man. Wen the point is on, the thin flat is very very thin by comparison, and thousands of people cook them whole that way. With no point it will cook faster so the thin end wont dry out as much as if it were a whole packer.

Comment

OK. I should post a pic and see if it changes your mind. When you read about picking a brisket, it usually says to get one as even in thickness of the flat as possible. I didn't have much to choose from and chose the smaller of the 2 available since it's mostly an experiment (my first brisket).

Comment

I always cook a whole packer as a whole and it comes out perfect everytime

Comment

But I don't have a whole packer. I have a whole flat - there is no point on it. just the entire flat

Comment

I smoke the flat whole too

Comment

You'll be good, DEW. It will cook faster than a whole packer w/ point, therefore the flat wont be cooking as long as normal and wont dry out. The same as cooking a small flat, the same as cooking two small flats end to end. Just don't trim all the fat cap, leave 1/4-1/8" on the underside.

Comment

OK. Thanks to all who responded.

Comment

"Folding brisket"? Jeez, those Swiss Army Knives really do have everything

Comment

If you know the heat map in your cooker, but the thick end in the hotter end and the thin end in the cooler spot. Back side of my Jambo is hotter than the door side. I always put the thick end towards the back. Brisket will plump up as it cooks anyway.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here