Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib - Medium Rare to Well Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be kind? My personal opinion is that it is rude to ask for well done prime rib roast unless I have a compromised immune system or some other medical reason for going to such extremes. Otherwise my answer is "whatever you want. Make it easy on yourself"

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      It's ok, man!

One person who wants well done is buying the meat. The other 2 are my father in-law and brother in-law. I would just as soon not piss anyone off.

Comment

Well then in that case, cut a hunk off and burn it. Put the good stuff in for a shorter time

Comment

Well Done? WELL DONE?? DON'T ask about WELL DONE!!

(another ode to an old NFL quote...)

Comment

I had the butcher cut off the bones of the prime rib. Should I cook them with the roast or can I save them and vook them like beef ribs at a later time? I guess I’m asking “Are these the ssme ribs I get when I pick up a package of ribs ti smoke?

Comment

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. That's what I do. I also ask the butcher to leave a bit of meat on the rib bones. Don't like shiners.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            And if they already have too much meat taken off, they're great material for beef stock.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            If they say "back ribs" then yes they are the ribs cut off the prime rib section. Since prime rib is 4-5 times more expensive than rib meat, they generally cut the meat close to the bone, thus leaving the bone exposed or shiney (thus the term shiner). Whatever meat is left is really delicious and can be cooked with your roast or separate.

I realize I may be preaching to the choir, but why in the world would anyone want well done beef? Once past the 160* mark the beef protein cell walls begin to break down, the moisture inside of the protein structure begins to leach out and steam off, the fat now totally rendered begins to dissolve and what you are left with is a chewy, tough and tasteless piece of polymerized shoe leather that may be good enough to serve as a strap for sharpening knives. Other than that I suppose if that's what you like then more power to you !!

Comment

Here’s a few pics.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              That appears to be a 4 bone short rib plate probably from the chuck end. Go low and slow and up over 190* until probe tender just like a brisket. Killer flavor.

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              Those look delicious. As far as cooking them with the prime rib or separate, that depends if you want them with the meal? You can tie them back up to the roast and then cook the whole thing together, and that way you get to eat the ribs and the eye. Or save them for a separate treat another day!

This cook was a flippin train wreck. Following the instructions from Meatheads book, page 249 it states, "To reach 130 F in the deepest part of a boneless roast, if the roast is about 4 inches thick, allow 30 minutes per inch of thickness." Step 5 on page 250 says to cook at 225.

My roast was 3.5 inches on 1 end and 4.5 inches on the other. After 3 hours the internal temp was about 90 degrees. According to the above it should have been higher than 130. I had hungry guests waiting. I ended up slicing the roast and cooking it like a steak on the sear box. As for the well done folks, well they were disappointed. I was very disappointed with the directions in Meatheads book.

I was too stressed to take after photos and I can’t seem to upload the before video.

Comment

I’m with SmokeyGator , ceptn’ I thought of cookin the five correctly an takin the three, puttin em on a plate, show them the microwave an say have at it! You want somethin wrecked, you do the wreckin. Yessir.
              I’m in the camp, that if it’s some medical condition I will go out of my way to help. If it’s some kind of uneducated preference I’ll try to teach em. Sorta the same way with vegetaranians & veganarians.
              Last edited by FireMan; November 5, 2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy-Phx View Post
                This cook was a flippin train wreck. Following the instructions from Meatheads book, page 249 it states, "To reach 130 F in the deepest part of a boneless roast, if the roast is about 4 inches thick, allow 30 minutes per inch of thickness." Step 5 on page 250 says to cook at 225.

My roast was 3.5 inches on 1 end and 4.5 inches on the other. After 3 hours the internal temp was about 90 degrees. According to the above it should have been higher than 130. I had hungry guests waiting. I ended up slicing the roast and cooking it like a steak on the sear box. As for the well done folks, well they were disappointed. I was very disappointed with the directions in Meatheads book.

I was too stressed to take after photos and I can’t seem to upload the before video.
                Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have to ask - are you SURE your smoker was at 225F or higher at the grate level? So many cookers can actually be a lot lower than you expect. Also, if you ever do this again, consider cooking at a higher temp (250 to 275) to speed things up if cooking on a schedule. Better to be done too soon, and hold the beef in cambro, than to have hungry guests.

Comment

• Randy-Phx
                  Randy-Phx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The average temp at the grate level from my fireboard was 227.5 degrees.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess then the next time you need to run hotter, or account for the longer cook.

I just assumed Meathead”s book would have been accurate.

Comment

• shify
                  shify commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Was the roast frozen? Because those times and temps don't seem to make much sense to me. To go from fridge temp (40ish degrees) to 90 degrees should take like an hour

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  shify makes a point. I've put stuff on the smoker that was still partially frozen, and it added a couple hours to the cook. It took the first couple of hours for the meat to get from say 28F to 40F.

• Randy-Phx
                  Randy-Phx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, it was not frozen. I brought it home and put it in the fridge. It was about 75 degrees outside and not windy.

Here’s a graph from my smoke app from a boneless rib roast cook. I was running about 200 degree smoker temp for 3 hours to get to 115 internal temp, then I seared over direct heat. I repositioned the meat probe about halfway through the cook.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	0CA3F9EE-BD63-48EE-80A8-A05BD13D282A.png
Views:	278
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	588490

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here