Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket question

Will be smoking my first brisket in a couple of weeks. Will probably separate the point and flat; will cooking them separately decrease cooking time? I imagine so, but wanted to ask.

You may decrease overall time slightly, but time is usually driven by the thickness of the point. The flat will be done sooner, so separating them has the benefit of being able to dial in the doneness of each section without overcooking the flat.

Comment

I never bother with separating and doubt it makes that much difference in time. The meat will tell you when it's done. BTW, that WSCGC is a fantastic cooker and you should have no problems! I did some dutch oven carnitas in mine yesterday, and with 2 minor vent adjustments got it dialed in at 300 degrees for almost 3 hours.

Comment

Lately I've been cutting out almost all the deckle fat out of my packers, I really see very little use for it and isn't really very edible. Doing so I almost separate the muscles, but leave enough connective tissues to hold it in one piece. What I've found is that the point, being chuck full of fat, ends up cooking sooner. At that juncture I take it off, separate the muscles and cambro the point while returning the flat to the cooker. I'm wrapping with butcher paper to power through any stalls and do inject to retain moisture in the flat.

Like CaptainMike says, the meat will tell you when it's done. It must be probe tender and anywhere between about 190-207* internal. Probe it, if it's like warm butter it's done, separated or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket 01.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	578923

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great info! Thanks Trout. Hope your Sunday is going well, man!

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting, in the PBC my flats almost always cook faster than the point... due to higher temps???

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I separate and cook on two levels with the point above the flat. The point usually cooks 1st. Separating allows you to wrap the flat. I don’t think the point needs to be wrapped.

They will cook faster. Have cooked it that way many times before. If I can find a good brisket that passes the bend test, I will do it like Troutman does above, however I have not noticed the point finishing before the flat ever. On a good prime, that passes the bend test, and has a good thick termination on the flat I do not separate, or remove the deckle fat.
        One advantage of separating them is that you get more bark, and you can take the flat to about 190 to get some nice slices out of and the point to 203 to get some fantastic burnt ends.

Comment

Name:	9115442C-5972-469E-93F4-E4F8593093BA.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	585674
          I guess I can’t back out now.

$3.29 at Costco in Frederick, MD.

Comment

• tdimond
            tdimond commented
            Editing a comment
            Our Costco has gone to winter brisket prices also.

In the interest of maximizing the awesome bark that Dalmation rub provides, I always separate point from flat. Saves some time, but I couldn't tell you how much.

Comment

So I did separate the point and the flat. Both have been in the WSCG for two hours now. Internal temperature of the flat is at 157F. I’ll wait another two hours before doing anything. Click image for larger version

Name:	3EAE772C-C484-4978-9CB1-EBE923CD2DC9.jpeg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	587692Click image for larger version

Name:	3432896D-4785-407E-A9CE-7739BB486E1F.jpeg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	587693

Comment

i've separated one time and that was during the cook. I took the brisket off the smoker because I wanted to pan. Can't remember why because that's not my usual routine. Meh, it was a long time ago might have been beer involved. But anyway taking it off the smoker the two almost separated themselves so I went ahead and pulled them apart and put them back on the smoker without the pan. It turned out great but I don't recall any less cooking time. However you do get more smoke and bark due to exposing more meat surface to the smoker.

Comment

Keep us posted, TwoNuse , as the cook progresses. That WSCGC is a beast for turning out good briskies. I still like them in my PBC too, but now and then Mr. Fancypants (my name for my WSCGC) wins the draw. Pastrami on Mr. Fancypants is awesome as well, FWIW.

Kathryn

Comment

Double wrapped the flat in butcher paper after four hours at 162F. Double wrapped the point in foil. Click image for larger version

Name:	8F4CA2C2-2EDF-4199-97BC-FF28F829818B.jpeg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	587738Click image for larger version

Name:	8B0F59B2-40D0-444F-9BC1-2EA2098E34F1.jpeg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	587737

Comment

Brisket is done.

Name:	84CBCC29-7276-4AD2-98CF-4A1C68DB1D54.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	588107Click image for larger version

Name:	2C12880D-4EA3-4D61-9065-183628670458.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	588106
                    For my first go around, it came out very well. The slices were fork tender; the point was turned into burnt ends which were also fork tender.

Now the critiques...I overestimated the time it would take to make the brisket; the point was done around 12:30 (8.5 hours) and the flat was done an hour later. No harm done, they were able to rest in the cooker until scheduled dinner at 6 but I didn’t have to be up as early as I thought. Also, the flat was too tender, slices fell apart under their own weight.

I’d give myself a B.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here