Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried Meathead’s Meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried Meathead’s Meatloaf

My wife and I both wanted meatloaf again, that much we agreed upon. But her midwestern version and my southwestern version don’t appease each other’s meatloaf jones. So, we decided to try Meathead’s recipe! We both knew it wasn’t "what we are used to" by any stretch, but no mushrooms made me happy, and sun dried tomatoes made her happy. She put it together, and I cooked it on the 26” kettle with a dry SNS, full chimney of Weber briquettes and a leftover hickory chunk. Took ~ 2 hours 15 min at 325F to reach 155F IT in the dead center (I’m convinced there’s a warp in the space time continuum just outside Chicago). I think it turned out well - moist, with a nice crunchy breadcrumb crust. Unfortunately neither of us cared for it at all. A bit too herbaceous and the orange zest took it down an extra couple notches, it just seemed very out of place. Good cook tho, learned more, tried something new, and... there’s also chocolate chip cookies! 😃 🍪
    Attached Files

I left out the sun dried and agree it was a bit too herby so the kiddees were not impressed. I on the other hand ate that stuff 6 days straight, something I can only do with pizza and fried okra.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      With you on the pizza and fried okra (MUST be fried for me tho). Hmm, fried okra topping on pizza? 🤔

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      FishTalesNC Fried or pickled

So it comes. So it goes! A lesson.

Comment

Great looking cook for sure.

Comment

Have you tried fzxdoc meatloaf. Dang good.
        Here it is. Joe

Kathryn's Bacon Covered Smoked Meatloaf on the PBC

Makes three (3) 2lb 12 oz meatloaves
        (adapted from http://www.afeastforitheeyes.net/2011...-its-best.html)

Ingredients:
        2 Tbl Olive Oil
        3 cups onion, chopped
        6 garlic cloves, minced
        4 large eggs
        1 cup milk
        4 tsp Dijon mustard
        2 tsp hot sauce
        1 tsp dried marjoram
        1 tsp dried thyme
        1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
        1/2 tsp pepper
        2 lbs ground beef
        2 lbs ground pork
        1 lb ground bison
        3 cups dried breadcrumbs
        1/4 to 1/3 cup dried parsley or 1 cup fresh parsley, minced
        18 slices center cut bacon, thin-sliced

Instructions:
        Add oil to skillet over moderate heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
        Add garlic and cook less than 1 minute, until you can just smell its fragrance.
        Set skillet aside to cool
        In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, mustard, milk and hot sauce together. Add the marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper.
        In a large mixing bowl, combine the meats. Add the milk-egg mixture, bread crumbs, parsley and the cooled onion mixture and mix well.
        Optional: Take a teaspoon-sized lump of the mixture, flatten it and cook it in the skillet you used for the onions. Taste. Adjust seasonings.
        Line three pans with plastic wrap. I use Rubbermaid plastic storage containers, 2.2 liters in size.
        Evenly divide the meatloaf among the 3 containers, pressing down so that the mixture conforms to the container.

Put containers in the freezer for 1 hour while you prepare the smoker
        Pulling on the plastic wrap, remove the firmed meatloaves from the containers and turn them onto an oiled grate. The third meatloaf will be smoked after the first two are finished.

Place 6 slices of bacon on each meatloaf.

Place in smoker and cook until temp reaches 160 deg F. Pit Barrel Cooker at 315 ave temp: 1hour 15 minutes. After removing the meatloaves from the PBC, put the other one in. At a lower temp 270 deg F, the second cook may take 2 hours.
        13. Place smoked meatloaves under a broiler for 1 minute to crisp up the bacon.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for including that here. I did run across it while perusing "meatloaf" on the forums and it sounds really good!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Three thumbs up for Kathryn’s ( fzxdoc ) meatloaf.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, FireMan and jecucolo . I'm making this 3-meatloaf batch this week. Just bought the meat. Already have the rest of the ingredients on hand. The kids are begging for some, so that's all it took to get me off my duff and make some.

Kathryn

+1 on the herby thing.

Meatloaf and Mac and Cheese are a couple of those things that unless it is like your mom made (or you grew up on) then it isn’t right.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          100%!

So I've got a question on IT that may just catch on here, for ground cooks like meatloaf. I recently got some Potato Nails and love them. They seem to do what they're supposed to - conduct heat into the potato for a better baked cook.

12" steel nails are common. I can see using four - two inserted from each end, to conduct heat into something like an 18" long meatloaf. Crazy?

Love the cook honesty. I'm looking forward to really screwing something up and posting it, to build some BBQ Gods Karma.

Comment

I love the idea of meatloaf, but have had very few I like. Most are too...”much.” Thanks for sharing many ideas here...I’m bound to find one I like. Bonus points if my wife and kids eat it too!

Comment

I know most will turn up their noses and forks, but my ex taught me that simple is better. Her recipe was

Ground Beef
            Salt and pepper
            1 egg
            Bread crumbs - only enough to incorporate the egg and bind the meat

She was not grill girl so she used the oven. But low and slow to your temp choice is divine. Embellishments and spices are added on top after - not inside before - like a burger. Give it a try, it has pleased many a diverse palate.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s pretty much what I grew up with, but with some chopped onion in it. Still have a hankerin’ for it this morning!

Too bad you didn't care for it. I don't know that I would enjoy this one either. Everyone has their own tastes. I am not sure how good the orange zest sounds either. I am more of a simple guy when it comes to meatloaf. I am pretty much ground beef, onions, salt and pepper, egg, crushed croutons and some Siracha ketchup.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I make a pretty good meatloaf, simple ingredients. But my wife makes awesome meatloaves, generally involving a bit of sweet red pepper inside, and bacon on top.

The night of my brother's funeral, she hit 2 home runs: best meatloaf before or since, and the best mac & cheese before or since. It was somehow meant to be, for the family!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              There is no better comfort food than Meatloaf. And Meatloaf brings a family together unlike anything else. EdF

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep Spinaker !

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here