Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Non-PBC) Chuck Roast/Pulled Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    Guy, water.

• Guy
    commented on 's reply
    Burn, any liquid in your water pan during this cook?

• Guy
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Burn, makes perfect sense. Can't wait to try it.

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I'm a bit neurotic about it. I use Evernotes and seem to obsessively glance at my Maverick and record time, kettle temp and internal food temp regularly, as well as when I add water, wood or charcoal, and when/how I adjust the vents. I'll have to adjust for external conditions, but that should be easy enough.

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    I place my fuse around the Vortex (wide side up) and place the food on the grate above the Vortex. I don't know the science, but I think the Vortex acts to push the heat up and around for the convection effect while also acting as a barrier to the heat moving directly to the center under the meat.

And on the 22.5" with the medium Vortex, the space between the narrow end of the Vortex and the walls of the kettle is 3 briquettes wide so it makes stacking easy.

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    I think on the kettle that the water pan is working as both a temp moderator and for some moisture.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Wow, TB those chucky cook photos are a beautiful sight! It's good to hear that your final product was fall-apart tender. Now you've got the perfect fail-proof method for chuckys. I hope you kept good notes!

Congrats on a perfect cook!

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• scorched_porch
    replied
    Beautiful stuff. Very nice work, I've forgotten how good those are. Thanks for reminding me.

Leave a comment:

• Guy
    replied
    Looks great and delicious. I am not sure I understand the Votex with a 3x2 fuse. I do have a Votex. Help me out here if you please. I know what a fuse is but with the Votex is where I am confused.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Originally posted by The Burn View Post
    Thanks all. I have to say this was one of the easiest cooks I've had. The fuse around the Vortex stayed lit and fairly steady, water only needed topping off every 2 hours (using a loaf pan), and the stall wasn't long. When I picked up the roasts out of the resting oven I could tell how bouncy they were. Good stuff. I need to keep this in my regular rotation.
    Damn TB, looks great man!! Do you use the water pan for moisture or more as a temp moderator? I am thinking about doing away with putting water in my water pan when I use my keg. I can't get a bark thats even close to what I get with the PBC. And I think that the water evaporating in the keg is the culprit. It just stays to darn moist in the cooker. If I fill the pan with sand or remove it and use firebricks I will still get the benefit of a temp moderator, but I will also have to watch the temps much closer. Speaking of which I gotta go stoke the PBC a bit.
    Nice Cook!!

-John

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    Thanks all. I have to say this was one of the easiest cooks I've had. The fuse around the Vortex stayed lit and fairly steady, water only needed topping off every 2 hours (using a loaf pan), and the stall wasn't long. When I picked up the roasts out of the resting oven I could tell how bouncy they were. Good stuff. I need to keep this in my regular rotation.

Leave a comment:

• Deuce
    replied
    That looks great, Love me some chuck roast

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    Those look great! I was either going to cook boston butts or chuck this weekend. That helped me decide...chuck it will be!

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Looks great TB. I have two that I will cooking on the Lang Sunday.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here