Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Non-PBC) Chuck Roast/Pulled Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Non-PBC) Chuck Roast/Pulled Beef

Seems that all of the recent posts about chuck roasts have been by the PBCers. So here's proof of cook on my 22.5" and Vortex.

Two choice roasts that totaled just over 5 lbs - from Costco. BBBR rubbed and a 2-day sit in the fridge.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	57835

Vortex, with a 3x2 fuse and a few chunks of oak, with a water pan, at an average of 250. Wrapped it at 170 after the bark was well set. Took about 7 hours to 207.

Let it sit in a 170 oven for about an hour still wrapped. Opened up those foil packages and it smelled so good.

Name:	IMG_1299.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	57836

Some of it was simply fall apart tender

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	57837

And the final pulled & chopped product, still with evidence of bright red smoke ring

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	57841

Looks awesome TB!

Comment

Gotta find me a chuck roast!! Nice cook there Burn

Comment

Looks great TB. I have two that I will cooking on the Lang Sunday.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Those look great! I was either going to cook boston butts or chuck this weekend. That helped me decide...chuck it will be!

Comment

That looks great, Love me some chuck roast

Comment

Thanks all. I have to say this was one of the easiest cooks I've had. The fuse around the Vortex stayed lit and fairly steady, water only needed topping off every 2 hours (using a loaf pan), and the stall wasn't long. When I picked up the roasts out of the resting oven I could tell how bouncy they were. Good stuff. I need to keep this in my regular rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
                  Thanks all. I have to say this was one of the easiest cooks I've had. The fuse around the Vortex stayed lit and fairly steady, water only needed topping off every 2 hours (using a loaf pan), and the stall wasn't long. When I picked up the roasts out of the resting oven I could tell how bouncy they were. Good stuff. I need to keep this in my regular rotation.
                  Damn TB, looks great man!! Do you use the water pan for moisture or more as a temp moderator? I am thinking about doing away with putting water in my water pan when I use my keg. I can't get a bark thats even close to what I get with the PBC. And I think that the water evaporating in the keg is the culprit. It just stays to darn moist in the cooker. If I fill the pan with sand or remove it and use firebricks I will still get the benefit of a temp moderator, but I will also have to watch the temps much closer. Speaking of which I gotta go stoke the PBC a bit.
                  Nice Cook!!

-John

Comment

• The Burn
                    The Burn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think on the kettle that the water pan is working as both a temp moderator and for some moisture.

Looks great and delicious. I am not sure I understand the Votex with a 3x2 fuse. I do have a Votex. Help me out here if you please. I know what a fuse is but with the Votex is where I am confused.

Comment

• Guy
                    Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Burn, makes perfect sense. Can't wait to try it.

• Guy
                    Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Burn, any liquid in your water pan during this cook?

• The Burn
                    The Burn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Guy, water.

Beautiful stuff. Very nice work, I've forgotten how good those are. Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

Wow, TB those chucky cook photos are a beautiful sight! It's good to hear that your final product was fall-apart tender. Now you've got the perfect fail-proof method for chuckys. I hope you kept good notes!

Congrats on a perfect cook!

Kathryn

Comment

• The Burn
                      The Burn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I'm a bit neurotic about it. I use Evernotes and seem to obsessively glance at my Maverick and record time, kettle temp and internal food temp regularly, as well as when I add water, wood or charcoal, and when/how I adjust the vents. I'll have to adjust for external conditions, but that should be easy enough.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here