Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I smoked a fatty today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I smoked a fatty today

I decided to smoke a fatty today. I made it with the following ingredients:

1 kg (2.2 lbs) ground beef
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
    1 egg

Wrapping
    1-2 packages of bacon

Stuffing
    0.5 cups green pitted olives
    150 grams (5 oz) feta cheese

I used my Big Green Egg for this cook. Indirect heat only. I also had the Smobot running, I really love that thing!

I only had one package of bacon in my fridge, that was a bit too few strips. I recommend using more.

Instructions
    Mix the ground beef, salt, pepper and egg in a bowl. Stir well.

Flatten the ground beef (approx 0.5 inches) on a cutting board (covered with Saran Wrap). I made a rectangle. Sprinkle the stuffing evenly all over. Now start rolling the fatty like a burrito. The Saran Wrap really helps here. Once rolled, apply the bacon and roll once again.

Now fire up the grill, have it running at 130° C (265° F). It should be a ”low ’n slow”, but doesn’t need to be super low, as the ground beef doesn’t need tenderizing. I added cherry wood chunks.

Smoke it for roughly 1.5 hours, or until the internal temp is 65° C (150° F). Remove it, slice and dig in!

I’ve done this fatty before, but keep repeating it since the flavors go so well together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fatty1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	578158

Name:	Fatty2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	578157

Name:	Fatty3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	578156

Name:	Fatty4.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	578159

Here's the final result, juicy and tasty!

Name:	Fatty.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	578160

Nice! There is really no wrong way to do this, and everybody loves them as an appetizer during a long cook.

Comment

Not even lunch time here yet and you are really making me hungry.

Comment

I am going to have to cook one of those! Looks great and sounds delicious!

Comment

I haven't made a fattie in ages. I believe I'm now inspired to make one this weekend for breakfast. Thanks not only for the inspiration Henrik, but also for posting the recipe as well !!!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I was thinking of you, Troutman. I wanted to share, not just post a pic.

Thank you Henrik - you had posted this cook yesterday, and I appreciate seeing the steps and the recipe!

Comment

The flavor combinations are endless of course, but if unsure, this is a really great start. If you have kids this is a great cook because they can get involved with their hands with the topping, rolling it up etc.

Comment

I smoked a fatty once (but I didn't inhale!)

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                rofl.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                That because EdF is really a Rasta man in disguise

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                You can't see my dreads because I got old!

A little trick I learned was to use a 1 gallon zip lock bag, stuff it with your beef (or sausage!), flatten it out, then cut open the bag for a perfectly squared off and uniformly thick rolling surface. Works great !!!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice tip!

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                save the cut bag to lay the bacon weave on and help wrap it around the loaf.

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
              A little trick I learned was to use a 1 gallon zip lock bag, stuff it with your beef (or sausage!), flatten it out, then cut open the bag for a perfectly squared off and uniformly thick rolling surface. Works great !!!
              Yep, I do that and I like to do the bacon weave thing. I cheat and cook the bacon on a pan at 350 for just 10 minutes or so and THEN weave it... shrinks a bit and has a head start so the wove under bits cook.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I started pre-cooking bacon as well with ALL bacon wrapped items. I've found that using one of those inexpensive microwave cooking racks works best. Bacon comes out uniformly cooked and stays nice and flat. Also done in like 1 minute !!!

So Henrik smokes a fatty but WE all get the munchies. :-/ LOL

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahahaha.....Good one!!!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Contact High...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here