Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear Question

I’m picking up a couple of 2” thick porterhouse steaks after work to cook tomorrow. Having my neighbor/painter down for dinner.

I have done many reverse seared steaks for myself. I like mine cooked medium rare. My neighbor likes his cooked medium.

My question is how much earlier should I put on the medium steak.

Thanks

grill temp for both stake locations? When you have cooked these before, how long did you keep yours on the grill?

Comment

Here's how I would do it:

Let's say that your med rare is 130*, and his med is 140*. That's a 10* difference. I would put his on and monitor the temp. When it has risen 10*, I'd put your's on. That should at least get you close.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Well now that's just a little too logical

@sandy_561 I think RonB hit the nail on the head. No one can say a time for how early to put one steak on versus another, as its all based on how fast they get to 130 and 140. Also they will rise some during the reverse sear - not much though if its a fast hot sear, but some.

I have the same situation - my son and I like it medium rare, the women all like it medium well. I sous vide all of them to about 130, then just sear theirs a little longer, checking them with the thermapen after each flip over the SNS or grillgrates.

Comment

Doing the reverses sear I find goes fairly quick. I'd do both at same time, pull yours at med rare and let his run a little longer.

Comment

I let mine rest in between getting them to temp and putting the final sear on them. Lets my bring the grill up to searing temps. Just leave the medium on until it hits the temp you want. Letting the med rare rest a little longer.

Comment

Not SV-ing and not reverse-searing, I find in practice that an extra minute to a minute and a half per side handles things nicely. We're talking steaks under 1-1/2" thick for this approach.

Comment

To simplify, it’s not the early thing, it’s the bit longer thing, not much.

Comment

I have a Santa Maria Grill with the variables all kind of dialed in. My daughter likes rare, I am medium rare and my wife has finally settled to medium from medium well. I put my wife's on first. Three minutes later I flip hers and mine goes on. Three minutes later, my wife's gets the second flip, mine gets it's first and my daughter's goes on. Then I start monitoring the temps. I lower the grate for the final minute. The three minute rule applies really well but again, it is based on my set-up. jfmorris 's advice, if you have a SV machine, is the fool-proof method.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here