Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Loin Top Sirloin Whole Cap Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Loin Top Sirloin Whole Cap Off

Just heading home after a quick Costco run and this cut of beef is one I’m not familiar with; however, I’m going to give it a try.
    I am thinking to treat it like a brisket or a boston butt and smoke it low and slow till internal temp reaches 203F.
    Before I go with that, I figured best to check with the experts.
    How do you fix this cut?
    Thank you,
    Ricardo
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1810F2AD-5A95-4649-A589-500587C6AEB4.jpeg
Views:	15098
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	577583

Nooooo! Don’t do it like a brisket. You will have sawdust. The sirloin doesn’t have anywhere near the fat and connective tissue of brisket. I would slice it into about 1 inch thick steaks and grill them. Or, if you want to cook it whole, roast it to medium rare in the center. Or do Baltimore Pit Beef recipe from this site.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Thunder77, I was about to call out the cavalry and rescue that poor piece of meat from what was almost a swift demise. Please take this man’s advice Ricardo

• Ricardo
      Ricardo commented
      Editing a comment
      @Thunder77,
      Good I checked. Thank you very much for your feedback.

• Ricardo
      Ricardo commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like it’s a cut of beef that Cuban restaurants offer thinly sliced with caramelized onions... called Bistek Palomilla.

I will keep reading / reaserching some more, but it’s looking like this is a project for the ChefSteps Joules. Maybe I won’t go paper thin steaks like I’ve been able to see on YouTube videos for Palomilla.

I want to reiterate my thank you for helping me figure this out.

I’m not familiar with that exact cut either. But as Thunder77 said. DO NOT treat it like a brisket or butt or a chuckie.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Any time brother.
      Hey did you ever do anything about getting an LSG?

• Ricardo
      Ricardo commented
      Editing a comment
      I ended up getting a KBQ; however, I still have the LSG 24” by 40” on my radar screen and will probably end up placing an order in a couple of months or so. I’m working on convincing my better half. The good thing is that she is really enjoying what I’ve been able to pull off from our smokers thus far. That’s helping me justify MCS.
      Cheers,

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent Ricardo To the best of my knowledge the KBQ is an amazing cooker. I know Spinaker loves his. But is also drooling over getting an LSG.

My local meat market had the whole top sirloin on sale this week too. They are 15 lbs on average. I've gone back n forth on whether to get one. I would like to cook it whole and know I should cook it to medium rare, but I'm worried that such a big cut will have too much connective tissue to cook as a beef roast.

Has anybody ever cooked a whole top sirloin?

Comment

As an old butcher from the late 60's here's my opinion. Cut it into 2-1/2" thick roasts an cook like a tri tip to 125 IT then sear on both sides. Slice on the bias across the grain. Top sirloin is one of my favorites for taste. You should get 3 roasts and several 1" to 1-1/2" steaks.

Comment

• Ricardo
        Ricardo commented
        Editing a comment
        @wrgilb,
        Excellent suggestion. I’m going to follow your recommendations. I’m not familiar with this cut, but am going to give it a try here shortly.
        Thank you!!!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love that idea! Top sirloin is also one of my favorites.

I did something similar in 1-1.5" steaks in sous vide at 135x3 or 4h. Then shocked to fridge, reverse seared on the Grilla to the Grillgrates on the Weber, and they came out pretty good. I think they might be better sliced cold then rethermed a third time.

If I were doing again (which I will), I will drop below 135. Maybe to 131 or so. I pulled 135 from the Sous Vide Everything guys as they do a top of top sirloin. Of course, I think they're morons, so why I trusted them, I don't know.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, even did a post on mine (too lazy to go look for it). I went 130* in the bath, shocked and seared on my Weber gasser. Cross cut against the grain and it turned into a delicious London Broil. Big beefy flavor, tender but with a little chew.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh come on PKB, Guga and the boys aren't morons. They're just overly dramatic.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah. They’re morons. They Sous Vide everything, but insist on torches, never shock, cook too hot, out raw garlic in bags, and other things. They’re fun, but they don’t really do safety, so morons.

I cook this cut waaay too often, but I like it so much, what's a poor hungry boy to do?

If I can I cook it whole. I just love roasting this one. I typically buy a 15 lb'er, cut it in two so I have two equal size hunks. Rub them down the night before, then smoke it until done (internal temp 132-35° F), and slice. Gorgeous!

If not cooking it whole, I'm with wrgilb on this one. Make thick steaks (treat yourself and make them 2 inches thick), and treat like a tri tip. It's a winner.

Either way, you're in for a treat!

Comment

Also, where’d all the caps go?
        i see this at Costco all the time, but can’t grt a picanha for love or money.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe. Guga and Ninja have a video about procuring picanha, so I should watch that. But I can only take a couple episodes before I start praying that the next episode is the one where they incubate some botulinum toxin and poison themselves.

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          They may sell them to ethnic markets especially Brazilian/Portuguese. The Seabra Supermarket here has cryovaced picanhas in a dedicated bin. I'd guess at least 100 to pick from.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have to look in my neighborhood markets. I live in the most ethnically diverse neighborhood in Chicago, but not sure how many Brazilians we have around here.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here