Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I have an upcoming post. Waiting for completion... it's just waiting for the final smoke.

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Oooph! Maybe when I retire I'll think about that...

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Thnx Pappy!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Well, I like it slice it to order, steam the thin slices, and put them on that pastrami Reuben. That's the way Mama taught me! ;-)

• PappyBBQ
    replied
    I've done pastrami both ways - all the way on the grill, and the steaming method. I prefer to steam. Flats can get away from you and dry out bad, and I haven't had that problem steaming. It's strictly a personal choice. You have to try both methods and kinda decide for yourself!
    Last edited by PappyBBQ; October 10, 2018, 12:20 PM. Reason: Fix spelling

Leave a comment:

• PappyBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I soak all the salt out I can because my diet is sodium restricted. Other folks in the household simply salt theirs to taste.

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    As an aside, if you use an equillibrium cure and roll your own, you save on the desalination step. Of course, you add two-three weeks of curing...

Leave a comment:

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Perfect. That’s what I was thinking. Thanks Huskee

• Huskee
    replied
    I agree with all the above. You could think of it as a differently-seasoned brisket. The steam step is just traditional pastrami technique, but I found it to be way more of a hassle than it's worth for not much gain to the end product, IMO. I would never steam a regular brisket so I stopped doing it with pastrami and I preferred the results of that method.

I desalinate 2-3" thick flats for 10hrs with one water change. I found 8 was too salty still (but not bad) and 12 wasn't salty enough anymore. That's just me & my timing for the storebought corned flats I've used. I wrap everything after the stall, 180 or so, the bark is just right for me at that point. Cook time for me is my typical ~10 hrs on heat, ~2 hrs faux cambro, ~12 total.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    If you really think about it, taking it to a point of solid bark, and then wrapping, would not be too different than taking to a solid bark and steaming only more efficient, for heat transfer.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Think of it as pink brisket, nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I was going to say what Polarbear777 said, but since he did, I won't.

Leave a comment:

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Ok, great! I'm planning on the faux Cambro. I'm figuring around 9 hrs ish for the cook and then I'll budget a couple hours for it to sit. Thanks for the input.

• Polarbear777
    replied
    It cooks the same as brisket of the same thickness I’ve never steamed it,why bother when you can cook it straight.

I absolutely faux cambro it just like brisket.

The only tricky thing about pastrami is soaking out the right amount of salt without soaking out too much.

Kenji recommends microwaving a small amount of sausage in the making to a safe temp then tasting it to make sure the salt level is right.
    I just thought of this so I haven’t tried it here but you could cut a small piece and do that here also.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here