Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caprese stuffed flank steak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caprese stuffed flank steak.

One of the finest salads meets the grill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	VoHVeUzYcSKc_wEZemTrRsUjoug9dZv7V1GWjoTtT3hoF6hAsdfE47P4KC6qYwkpkK0DZBgyR8NiiaMlsb7SFG4vQyzb2K_fKxnvcTxcdhpXsX5FJtv4E8HIEVtfjjwBB3ljnA92I8itpy1f7zJ0p64RQWl1Bt_2u3vWBWYvRn2dwLdn5UWZejSQ5l7PFHP9MgPrOivvGqdxCh33LADRzqh6nmKkBGdhbAJNLDp9Cxzwm4fMmRxhUtK9Bw8zSf6 Views:	2 Size:	621.2 KB ID:	577157

Trim up your flank steak to square it off and butterfly it by cutting along the long edge with your knife parallel to the cutting board and with your other hand on top of the steak. Don't cut all the way through to the other side. Then fold out the meat and flatten it so that you end up with a nice sheet of beef. Salt both sides of the meat.

Drizzle olive oil and balsamic reduction onto your canvas and add diced tomatoes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	p4SfjZlgmOM1OaGs05QugUKVLI6ZRoFQKiPcfFUKgkCRbWw7yk4PQNcorO5K5dMDCrJgZaXBzPAYnv-7V-N8e6CViP-f9uUUSEa8t9lF6oTUBvCnTbI8mEqnz24hnYm2Jirvf_QoDOe4TFKqZLymPfVU9bQ1FAEYOlcnWdyE6qiLTfHDehopaHjJcivRthMR2hkSMrBX8sRoLVEwwUzJg3h85ZZdjEglSmFvq-VmtqRt7qs4dIvFQIlB-O32Jvb Views:	2 Size:	534.9 KB ID:	577158

Add some basil in an even layer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	basillayer.jpg Views:	2 Size:	401.1 KB ID:	577159

Then some fresh mozzarella.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MozzLayer.jpg Views:	1 Size:	338.8 KB ID:	577160

Drizzle with more balsamic reduction.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BalsamicReduction.jpg Views:	1 Size:	551.2 KB ID:	577161

Now roll it up keeping it as tight as you can and tie it off with butcher string.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MeatRoll.jpg Views:	3 Size:	491.9 KB ID:	577163

Skewer where you tied it then trim your skewers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SkewerRoll.jpg Views:	1 Size:	360.8 KB ID:	577164

Season generously with salt and pepper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CutPinwheels.jpg Views:	2 Size:	534.3 KB ID:	577165
    Fire up the grill and sear over high heat flipping once. If necessary move off direct heat to finish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Plated.jpg Views:	1 Size:	347.0 KB ID:	577166
    Last edited by Attjack; October 9, 2018, 04:06 PM.

Ooooh. This looks good! I love stuffing flank steak!

Comment

My wife makes a really tremendous stuffed flank steak in the oven. I have often thought it would cook well in the smoker. Hers is cut, then stuffed with a meatloaf type mixture with a lot of bread crumbs and sewn back up. It has a very nice wine sauce. The concoction cooks in a large Dutch oven . She thinks that the ground beef and breadcrumbs are not suitable for a lower and slower cook. If I took her recipe and your method, I think she would be really happy with the results. Thanks a ton!

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker - thumbs up!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey thanks for supplying us with that old post Spinaker. Two thoughts, first it's figgin' awesome, I'm so making those. And second reading an old post with a bunch of guys who are no longer around was kind of interesting and weird all at the same time. Kind of alternate universe stuff

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You will love it! Yeah those were all good guys. Miss having them around Troutman

Attjack Gorgeous bud !!! This is a winner !! Thanks for the detailed post bud !!!!

Comment

That looks fantastic! I'll definitely be trying that.

Comment

Wow, so not into the stuffing but man that is awesome work.

Comment

I presume from grill marks you are cooking this over hot coals ? I was going to eat it before I realized it was my computer screen!
            How long? How hot? How do you keep the moz from ooz'n out in the heat? Got to try this before freeze gets my basil.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Really hot to sear sear the cheese before it could run out. None of the cheese came out. Not sure how long it took but it was done quickly. I had a full chimney banked to one side of my Super Joe with all the vents open.

That’s five star stuff there my friend, or four star whatever our rating system is, top of the heap.

Comment

Man, that looks fantastic! I still have approximately 1 metric ton of basil in the garden just waiting for something to do.

Comment

If you look around on the internet you'll see stuffed flank steak is a thing. I came up with the idea to go caprese because I had left over supplies from my side salad last time I made pizza.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Always great when you adapt to what you have on hand.

Man, that looks great!

Comment

Attjack all I can think of is----WOW!!!!----- I have a flank steak in the freezer. I'm thinking real hard right now! Great cook.

Comment

Looks beautiful!

Comment

Wow. Nice work!! That would be a (Italians help me out here) "brasole?" Pronounced "bra-jo- ole."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here