Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on brisket jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice on brisket jerky

I've got a bunch of small brisket pieces sitting in the fridge and I'd like to try making some of meathead's Easy Beef Jerky. Has anyone tried this with brisket and is there anything specific I'll need to consider for this cut? For example, I know a dry brisket can get crumbly when cut across the grain so I'm wondering if it makes sense to cut along the grain instead. Thanks!

All the whole meat jerky I've made was cut with the grain. Just cut about â…›-¼ inch thick slices, marinate or flavor to your taste, and smoke 'em. I finish mine in my dehydrator, but any low heat will work too.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect guy to answer this question. When do you take them off the heat? And at what temp. Thanks Strat!

Assuming that you will be cooking and drying at the same time, I just take them off when I like the amount of dehydration that has occurred. This will take at least 6 hours in my rig. If using my dehydrator, I smoke for 2 hours, then place in my dehydrator, and dehydrate at 160-180 overnight, usually.I use the highest temp setting on my dehydrator (160).

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      What temp do you smoke at for the initial two hours?

Anything above 180.

Comment

Thanks Strat, I sliced with the grain and now I've got about 5lbs of meat marinating. Can't wait to try it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6102.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	58019

Have you seen Alton Brown's homemade dehydrator? It's a couple air filters tied to a regular box fan. But I'm curious how well it works without heat. Is heat or airflow the most important factor? Or both equally?

Last edited by eugenek; January 29, 2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        Waste of time, unless you are dehydrating herbs or other veggies. Even then, heat will help.Not for any meat!

Won't 10-12 hours at room temperature be very dangerous for food-born illness? Don't you need the heat to keep it safe?

DEW

Comment

I believe most dehydrators that you purchase at a store have some type of heating system. The lengthy time spent in the dehydrator is not an issue due to the thin cut of meat, dry environment eventually created, and high salt concentrations in most brine/marinade recipes. Most commercial jerky kits also contain cure.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          A proper dehydrator uses heat. Mine has a temp control from 90-160 degrees

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine has a heating element as well. But Eugene asked this question:

"Have you seen Alton Brown's homemade dehydrator? It's a couple air filters tied to a regular box fan. But I'm curious how well it works without heat. Is heat or airflow the most important factor? Or both equally?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ky-recipe.html"

So I was commenting on that. It doesn't seem safe to me, especially for meat.

DEW

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Airflow is most important, but not by much. For meat, you need heat.

Originally posted by eugenek View Post

Have you seen Alton Brown's homemade dehydrator? It's a couple air filters tied to a regular box fan. But I'm curious how well it works without heat. Is heat or airflow the most important factor? Or both equally?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ky-recipe.html
        I think that would be good for bananas and apricots, that kind of thing. I wouldn't do meat on it.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          In the linked episode, he specifically was making beef jerky, but I agree with you.
          Last edited by Dewesq55; January 30, 2015, 02:53 PM.

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          We dehydrate a ton of stuff every year, Tomatoes, peppers, carrots, onions,etc from our gardens. We also dehydrate a fair amount of proteins: salmon, chicken and such for jerky and quick meals. Its penny smart and pound foolish to try to "rig" something if you have any real amount of stuff to do. Trust me on this. A heat element is necessary for proper dehydrating. We have an Excaliber 2900, but there are other brands with similar capabilities that are cheaper. I saved the 200 bucks I spent on the dehydrator in the first year I had it. I never have to buy any powdered garlic, onions, citrus, etc. I make different chili powders that are unique, and make my food equally unique. Smoked tabasco? Easy. Citrus powder(s) for rubs? Really easy. Porcini mushroom powder for crusting and sauces? Easy(I have to pick 'em from the property..lol).

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Strat, do you just slice your peppers & stuff up and throw them in the dehydrator or do you do some other type of prep to them?

Thanks for your thoughts on the DIY method. I'll stick with dehydrating it via the smoker for now. It's actually a little windy today so maybe I've picked the perfect day to get a little help from Mother Nature. Airflow and heat!

Last edited by eugenek; January 31, 2015, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Looks very good!

Comment

I used the snake/fuse method to keep the WSM's temp around 170-180 for the first couple hours, then propped the lid open for the dehydration process which brought the temp down around 10 degrees. Instead of the 6-12 hours meathead's recipe recommended, I took the meat off after only 4 hours of drying because the texture seemed to be done. It turned out chewy and not stringy, although a couple of the pieces on the edges of the smoker were a little crispier. You can definitely taste the ginger, which I'm a fan of, but I think it overwhelmed the sweetness and spice. I thought it was a good first effort and super easy to make.

Comment

Picture perfect! Excellent. Did you bring enough for the rest of the class? Hmmmm...lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here