Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left fridge cracked last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our fridge beeps if the door stays open for more than 45 seconds or so. It's saved me twice now.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      My new freezer has that. Love it.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Our big refrigerator upstairs has that. Secondary refrigerator in the basement doesn't but it mostly holds beverages, and the freezer has a few odds and ends. The primary freezer is a chest, so the door naturally closes. Just have to make sure nobody puts something in a basket that blocks the lid. Even then, cold air sinks.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      The one in the kitchen does that if the temp gets above the set range, but I'm S.O.L. with one in the garage. Even if it had that feature, you couldn't hear it inside the house.

When I had this happen to the garage freezer years ago my "solution" was ugly and kludgy as all get out, but it worked... I used a bungie cord from the rear of the freezer and hooked it to the door handle. Didn't take long to develop the habit, as well as the rest of the family.

The freezer was loaded with frozen shrimp (15 -20 count) that I'd deheaded, peeled and deveined and frozen in quart containers. Sooo painful and expensive a lesson.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, yes, good old southern engineering.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      My threatened solution is to install hasp latches and padlocks on both doors. I'm trying to train the young'ns to check the doors before going this route. Problem is, we are the house on the block where all the kids show up, which goes back to my solution. I'm trying hard not to be that "get off my lawn!!!" guy. 😀

More than likely fine. I'd wouldn't think for a second that the little salt we use for dry brining has any food safety advantages. Kosher chickens are TOTALLY covered in salt yet This Happened

Comment

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      Most likely fine but what would you do?

When this happens, I know that the surface is where the baddies grow. The inside is still sterile on a brisket. The sustained period of time above 40°F creates a two-fold problem. Growth of bacteria being the first, but the excrement they produce is the second concern. The longer they are there multiplying on the surface of the meat, the more volume of their poison "poop/pee" is "dumped" on the surface as they begin to eliminate what they have eaten. Washing will remove a HUGE majority of them AND their excrement. Next, heavy trimming of the surface is in order. Finally, cooking to kill the small amount that were missed. And then... my three dogs have a very large amount of meat for future meals, with the majority flash cooled and then frozen for them to eat in the future.
    This way, it is not a TOTAL loss.

Comment

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      With a short rib there won't be much left after the trimming, at least not how I trim ;-). And I don't have any dogs.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, and that is a sad thing...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here