Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with a brisket on a BGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with a brisket on a BGE

Looking for advice on cooking a brisket on a bge. A friend wanted my help. I typically smoke on a cookshack Amerique with great results.

As for your recipe and general technique, do the same things. Same prep, same rub, same injection, same wrap or don’t wrap, same temperature, and so on.

But read the stickies in the ceramic grill section. If the BGE doesn’t have a thermostatic controller your cookshack is definitely higher tech. If you have to be the controller, a dry run is advisable. After reading the stickies go over and see if you can get the BGE to your secret temperature without grossly overshooting.

My advice, go slow. Temperature changes aren’t fast (except for warp 10 full power blast furnace mode - that happens fast). If you are shooting for say 225, light the fire and keep the top and bottom vents open 100% until about 150, then close the bottom vent to 1/2 open and the top vent to daisy wheel only open. At 175 close the bottom vent to 1/4 open. Then at 200 close the bottom vent to about 1/4 inch open and adjust the daisy wheel as needed. It will take at least an hour to get the grill hot and stable.

Comment

To add to SG, once a BGE gets there, it stays there. You need to check it every now and then to make sure it doesn't crater, but running away just doesn't happen.

You don't need a water pan, but you do want to have a drip pan.

Comment

thanks for the advice, have never used a BGE before but that is what my friend has to smoke with.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          You may get hooked!

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          I like my Primo. For what it cost I had a lot of options, but I’m not regretting anything. You may like the egg. If so nothing wrong with caving into addiction impulses and buying another cooker. It happens to all of us at some point.

I cook on my BGE a lot .I always keep the bottom vent full open and control temp with the daisy wheel . When it starts to get close to your temp Slide the wheel open about half an inch or daisy wheel open about half an opening.

Comment

I separate the point from the flat and cook the point of a second level grate. Separated they will probably fit better on the main grate if you don’t have a raised grate. Try to stay inside of 12#s so it will fit better on the 18” grate. I usually inject and wrap the flat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here