Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Chuckie Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Chuckie Attempt

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	576048Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	576049Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	576050Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	576051 Hi There!

I smoked a Chuck Roast 2 days ago and it was my second attempt at smoking a chuckie. My first one turned out dry and too chewy so I researched this forum and stumbled upon ABCBBQ Dave’s "Chuck Roast on the Pit Barrel Cooker" post, started back on January 20th, 2015. I gleamed lots of helpful info from this 10-page post.

I salt dry brined the chuckie for 24 hours before I rubbed it with a light coating of mayo, as a binder, then applied a heavy coating of Hank’s ‘Barkalicious Bonafide Beef Rub’. I had started up my YS640 Yoder 30 minutes before, set to 235* and was using a 50/50 ratio of hickory and mesquite pellets.

After 8 hours the temp was 170* so I double wrapped in foil and added ½ cup of beef broth. After 9 hours and 15 minutes the temp was 210*, instead of putting it into a cooler with towels I turned the Yoder’s temp down to 200* and left it there in the smoker for another couple of hours at which time the temp was 201*. I wanted pulled beef and after re-reading Dave’s post, and I quote: "To get chuck to pull it has to spend time at or above 200*F, so it's not just about hitting 203*F. If I'd been using my Mak I would have dialed the temp down to 200*F and let the meat just render out the connective tissue", so I followed his suggestion.

The chuckie turned out GREAT!! It was moist and tender and very, very tasty, and I did not need bear claws to pull it!

Here are a few pictures, I forgot to take a picture of the chuckie before I started, but took a picture at 8 hours just before I wrapped it; another just as I unwrapped it from the foil; another after 11+ hours where I pulled it with my fingers; and another plated just before I sat down to eat it, together with boiled potatoes with their skins on and slathered with Kate’s 100% pure butter, batched churned, the old fashioned way, farm made in Maine, topped with Honeycrisp Apple Jelly.

I am extremely happy with how the chuckie turned out!! Thanks to this forum and all the people that share their knowledge.

Looks great!

Comment

Nice cook, thanks for the detailed recipe !! The color on that chuckie looks amazing, bet the flavor was as well !!!

Comment

That looks like honey or jelly or something on that smashed potato. Care to share what is going on there?

Oh, and I agree, great looking chuckie!

<edit> My bad, I guess I skimmed over some of that, I didn't see the apple jelly comment. Thanks for pointing out my idiocy, Donw, lol
        Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; October 7, 2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Very well done. Looks so tasty. I have never thought of using Apple Jelly on potatoes. I’m going to have to try that.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds good, kinda like apple sauce on pierogies

You nailed it brother. That chuckie looks absolutely perfect. 👊👍
          If you have any leftover try making a cheesesteak out of it. It will change the way you look at cheesesteaks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here