Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ClayJones
    commented on 's reply
    I was about to say.... I"m not that experiences with beef backs, but mine looked NOTHING like those.

• Bathgate
    replied
    Hmmm . . . my pics showed in preview mode. I'll try then here again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	573279

Beef back ribs

Name:	IMG_1285.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	573280

Pork baby backs

Leave a comment:

• Bathgate
    replied
    Wanted to circle back and let you all know how this went. Here's the final product as they came off the PBC after about 2 hours.

Look pretty darn great, huh? Too bad they didn't taste as good as they looked. Pretty greasy and just not a whole lot of beefy flavor. Overall, I don't know if I'll ever see these for sale again but if I do, I'll pass. Pretty disappointing and not worth the effort.

The good news, though, is that I hedged my bets and threw a slab of pork baby backs in the cooker at the same time. The pork ribs were winners.

The beef took 2 hours but the pork went for 3.5 plus another 30 minutes to set a glaze. The PBC ran pretty steady at around 235'-240' the whole time.

Leave a comment:

• Bathgate
    replied
    Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
    I have never cooked them in singles. I cook them as a rack. Dry brine, rub with either brisket rub or steak rub (dry brine WITH the rub if it has salt) I use hot sauce as the binder. Smoke at 225° for 3 hours, then wrap with a touch of beef broth. Smoke crutched for another hour. Remove foil, and finish unwrapped until tender and basrk is firmed up.
    That all sounds just right. Dry brined them last night. Put the rub on just before they went out on the smoker. Sitting now at around 230' in the pit barrel and already starting to smell great.

Leave a comment:

• Bathgate
    replied
    Originally posted by EdF View Post
    Those are prime rib roast ribs, right?
    Sure look like it, don't they? Best looking back ribs I've ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    replied
    Those are prime rib roast ribs, right?

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    I have never cooked them in singles. I cook them as a rack. Dry brine, rub with either brisket rub or steak rub (dry brine WITH the rub if it has salt) I use hot sauce as the binder. Smoke at 225° for 3 hours, then wrap with a touch of beef broth. Smoke crutched for another hour. Remove foil, and finish unwrapped until tender and basrk is firmed up.

Leave a comment:

• Bathgate
    replied
    Boy, sure glad I posted those pics. As soon as smn1285 mentioned dino bones I wondered if we were on the same page. I'll expect something closer to 2 hours than 5! Do you guys still think I should take them up to 203' now that you've seen them?

BTW, I've never seen ribs like these at my local store before and these were the only ones they had out. But when I spotted them they sang to me. They want to be in my PBC.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Those are some pretty impressive back ribs. Hard to find them cut that way. I never wrap mine, never have, never will. Just keep probing them for tender like brisket. There's a lot of fat in there so they will render out nicely. Just low and slow and let the taste explosion begin !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	beef ribs 04.jpg Views:	2 Size:	967.2 KB ID:	572667
    Last edited by Troutman; September 30, 2018, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Keiferr
    replied
    You can also wrap them for about an hour before serving.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Red Man , texastweeter , smn1285 , and Bathgate --you're right, I smoked ribs from the short plate, not back ribs like you have, Bathgate. Sorry for the confusion. Use my recommendations when you score dino ribs from the short plate.

Let us know how it turns out.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Mine were from the short plate, texastweeter . About 3 inches thick when raw. For me, it's the thickness that often defines the time it takes to smoke a given cut of meat. They were grass fed and smoked more quickly than I had expected, even at 275°F Pit Barrel temp.

Kathryn

• Red Man
    replied
    Back ribs are much different than plate ribs. Three hours at 225 is about right.

Leave a comment:

• theroc
    replied
    Wow! Wish I could find beef back ribs that meaty around here. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Bathgate
    replied
    Here's what these little beauties look like. Just brined them.

Name:	IMG_1281.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	572509
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here