Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdF View Post
    Those are prime rib roast ribs, right?
    Sure look like it, don't they? Best looking back ribs I've ever seen.

Comment

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      I was about to say.... I"m not that experiences with beef backs, but mine looked NOTHING like those.

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
    I have never cooked them in singles. I cook them as a rack. Dry brine, rub with either brisket rub or steak rub (dry brine WITH the rub if it has salt) I use hot sauce as the binder. Smoke at 225° for 3 hours, then wrap with a touch of beef broth. Smoke crutched for another hour. Remove foil, and finish unwrapped until tender and basrk is firmed up.
    That all sounds just right. Dry brined them last night. Put the rub on just before they went out on the smoker. Sitting now at around 230' in the pit barrel and already starting to smell great.

Comment

Wanted to circle back and let you all know how this went. Here's the final product as they came off the PBC after about 2 hours.

Look pretty darn great, huh? Too bad they didn't taste as good as they looked. Pretty greasy and just not a whole lot of beefy flavor. Overall, I don't know if I'll ever see these for sale again but if I do, I'll pass. Pretty disappointing and not worth the effort.

The good news, though, is that I hedged my bets and threw a slab of pork baby backs in the cooker at the same time. The pork ribs were winners.

The beef took 2 hours but the pork went for 3.5 plus another 30 minutes to set a glaze. The PBC ran pretty steady at around 235'-240' the whole time.

Comment

Hmmm . . . my pics showed in preview mode. I'll try then here again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	573279

Beef back ribs

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	573280

Pork baby backs

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here