Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket audible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket audible

I got the talk from my wife that we are having people over for dinner and the meal needed to be done on time no matter what. Well, I've pretty much mastered timing on my WSM. I usually start that the night before at 8 p.m. However, I totally underestimated how quickly this brisket is cooking on my new PBC. I watched Noah's video online thinking that it would take 8 hours. So I got up at 4:45 and by the time I got finished fumbling around with coffee I got the brisket on at around 5:30am. That gives me 8 hours to cook with a 4-Hour rest in a lot of breathing room. However it's only 7 a.m. and my brisket is at 129 right now.

Rather than wrap at 165 like it suggests, should I wrap at 180 or something? Or should I wrap it 165, plan on getting it done and then having an 8-hour rest or more. I don't want it to be mush when it's time to serve.

PBC temp started at 320. I haven't touched it and it's down and stable at 273 right now. Kinda thinking I don't want to touch it anymore and let it ride. Another option is to do what Jerod doesd and at 165 I could check the bark quality, put it on the grate, flip it, then wrap it when ready.

What's y'all's advice on this one?

Maybe don’t wrap at all? Let it cook through the stall and that will lengthen the cook time a bit and build better bark. I think some folks on here might also suggest once it’s done to wrap it and put it in a 179 degree oven. I have also cambro’d a Brisket for close to 6 hours no problem.

Comment

You're probably going to hit a stall soon, if you haven't already. I don't know the size or thickness of your brisket, but according to the information contained in this PBC Cook Times post, at 275°F PBC temp, you may be done in 6 or so hours. Give it a few hours in the faux cambro after that, and it should be perfect.

To wrap or not is your choice. It usually gets a good set bark on it at about 180ish, so you could wrap it then if you want to speed things up.

Good call to let the PBC perk along at it's steady 270ish temps. That's where mine likes to roll too. I find it will pretty much stay there until I lift the lid to check on temp if/when I want to wrap. After opening the lid at that point, the temps drop down a bit and I may have to fiddle with them.

Have fun with that cook!

Kathryn

Comment

I don't wrap but I do pan at about 165 or 170. I do not cover the pan as this allows the bark to continue forming. I also add a good dark beer to the bottom of the pan to mingle with the juices you are going to catch.

You will have some fantastic au jus with this method.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll take your advice and we will see how it goes. If it stalls a lot I'll wrap but if not I'll let it go to see how the bark goes and maybe wrap at 180 like doc said.

First mistake is doing your first brisket cook on a newish cooker with people coming over before you've had a chance to figure out how your cooker handles a piece of meat. Especially brisket.

Comment

You got it! I wait until 180ish put in pan on top of a grate add a little splash and cover. We don't mind a soft crust.

Comment

Ok right on schedule now. Much Ado for nothing I guess. It stalled at 144 and 160 and I decided to wrap then because the bark was good enough and it had been there at 160 for 1.5 hours.

But while I'm at it, how do you guys firm up the bark in a PBC after it's done? If I put it back in for say 10 minutes do I need to let it rest again?

Comment

To finish I like the fat flash. Heat up fat/oil until about 375F. Then slowly pour over the brisket to fry the bark. Has to be somewhere it can safely drain and won’t make a mess (rack on a sheet pan works).

Comment

Usually when I pull at 180 to wrap the bark is set so nicely that nothing needs to be done with it.

Earlier than that, a quick trip under the broiler or on a super hot gasser works.

Kathryn

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Darn it Kathryn. This morning I was thinking I'll never really need a gasser other than my fold-up two burner for camping.

That was this morning... (MCS aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH!!)

I wish Blackstone made a grate for their 26". sigh... I guess it's not really built for dual-purpose like the next size up. (too much coffee - I digress... sorry)

You know HJS , these 'cook' running narratives are really valuable. The insight into what you're thinking as you go through the cook resonates with a lot of us, and it's rare when we can learn from someone else's experience, but that's exactly what happens.

GREAT narrative - thanks for the setup, the prep thoughts, the worry, and the pending success. I'm looking forward to what you think when you're finished.

Comment

Final result. I wrapped at 160 as stated above. I went to the grocery store. When I got back it was 194 and got to 203 at about 12:10pm. Again. Amazed that the PBC cooked it so fast.

I followed docs advise, kept it in a cambro in the foil once finished, took it out at 5:15. Broiler turned on for 5 minutes a side, then 5 minutes to slice. In the meantime I grilled some asparagus and the guests brought some pasta salad. I also made a pie as well. Made fresh...right from the darn can (to quote JB!) Lol!

Again. I got super brownie points from the in laws and my wife! I love being a member here. You not only saved my dinner, but also the in laws and saved a fight with my wife. That's worth it's weight in gold.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180929_173355.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	572458
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20180929160751360_COVER.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	572459
                    My wife made the heart with the extra crust...Tasted great!
                    Last edited by HJS; September 29, 2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow, that's a beauty of a brisket, HJS . Congratulations! Looks tender and juicy, and the smoke ring is eye-popping. What a beauty.

Pie is always nice, even if the filling comes from "the darn can". Looks like a delicious meal, all in all.

Kathryn
                      Last edited by fzxdoc; September 30, 2018, 07:27 AM.

• JGo37
                      JGo37 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You're not giving yourself enough credit. BBQ is like managing baseball. The players still have to play, regardless the info, the cook still does the cooking!

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a killer brisket! And a gorgeous pie. That must have been a great dinner, well done!

Great end to your story. Now you’ve got data for the next time.

Personally, I never wrap any cut of meat at the stall. Let it push through and only wrap when the bark is set and the right color (sometimes I never wrap). The smoke tells me when to wrap, not a thermometer.

Comment

I cooked a brisket for a party and here are my stats

12 # Prime Brisket Trimed
                      Dry Brine for 4 days
                      BBBR applied the night before
                      1:30am Wake up put brisket in freezer
                      Start PBC using 10-10-10 method
                      PBC Rocked at 275* start to finish
                      2:10 hang brisket
                      5:00 stall begins at 150*point/155 flat
                      8:30 stall ends 167*point/175* flat
                      9:15 crutch 170*point/185*flat
                      10:00 cambro 195 both
                      1:30 pm serve meal
                      2:00 answer how to cook brisket questions
                      9:00 receive text on epic brisket from guest
                      10:00 go to sleep knowing I brought a little joy into the world
                      Last edited by jecucolo; September 30, 2018, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You deserved those happy thoughts at bedtime, jecucolo . Looks like you had the perfect brisket cook on the PBC. Hearty congrats!

PBC briskets are sooooo delicious.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here