Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding Hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding Hamburger

I've been eyeing the Cabelas .75 hp carnivore grinder for some time and finally went yesterday and made the investment. I have started my research on recipes for grinding hamburger but thought it wise to ask here if any of you will share the recipes you use for the various 90/10, 80/20 or 75/25 mixtures as well as the cuts of meat you use for each? I used some store bought burger last night for smash burgers and it was, well awful. The wife and I have had much better from store bought but now hope to have better control over what we use with more consistency.

I have used a 80/20 mix with brisket and some saved fat trimmings from a larger cut. Brisket might sound strange but the Commissary (military grocery store) started carrying 2-3 pound 'cuts'. No idea why they were cut up that small but it made tasty burger. Pretty much any tough, working muscle would be ideal with the right ratio of fat. If you like your burgers on the more pink or red side, you may want to use less fat in the mix. A friend of mine made a 70/30 bacon burger with round and thick cut bacon that were cooked to medium and turned out great.

Having said that, I think you will love your new purchase..... sausages will be next and that is a good thing! Have fun with it!

Comment

I like grinding up chuck roasts for my burgers. I have also done a combination of short ribs and brisket that is out of bounds! Have fun with it. There is nothing better than grinding your own meat. The taste kicks store bought in the teeth.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        We've ground a lot of chuck roasts over the years to make good burgers. Short rib and brisket are also primo (and perhaps better). But the real win will be when you start making sausage.

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF I have yet to try sausage. Need to read up on it here and give it a shot. I'll probably get hooked.

My go-to is well marbled chuck, but as others have mentioned it's fun to experiment with different cuts and fat content. You will never look at store bought the same. Also, if you really want to up your burger game then try the SV technique. I've had finicky little kids say it's the best burger they've ever had in their entire lives. Quite a compliment if you ask me!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Good morning fzxdoc. We like ours 6-8 oz of ground chuck, S&P with a little dust of GP, lightly vac-sealed or ziplocked so as to not crush them, into the hot tub 131/1-3 hrs, pat dry and rest for 30 min, lightly oil with avocado oil, then sear on very hot GrillGrates. Serve with tater tots a la pellet smoker. https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...vide-hamburger

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, CaptainMike . Sounds good. Will give it a go.

K.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't tried the sear on the D&G yet, but I bet it would be great. fzxdoc

Congratulations 🍾🎊🎈 you have taken the first step in upping your game. Chuck, briskets, tri tip, round and whatever is on sale. For lean my wife has taken to a 75/25 mix of sirloin and bacon. Wel, my kinda lean anyway. Its all good! Have some fun and save your fat.

Comment

I just sat down from grinding 80/20 chuck/slab bacon. Seems to have a more moist texture.
        ​​​

Comment

I use chuck, brisket, or shortrib most often. Brisket trim is the fat i use.

Comment

The best burgers in Manhattan add ~ 5% marrow. Where they get it I have no idea, but it ups the price to at least $ 25.00 each. Is that the same (I know it's not) as suet, as a cheat? Maybe just a bit of brisket suet would be a great addition for ground beef headed to burgers.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was making it more difficult than need be. Will be slow cooking a chuck roast today using the Mississippi Pot Roast recipe but in the mean time I found them on sale them at local grocery store. I better head back there today and pick up more to grind for burger.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
                Hulagn1971 commented
                Editing a comment
                Love me some Mississippi pot roast.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto what Hulagn1971 said.

Well I am from Mississippi and have no idea what a Mississippi Pot Roast is. I did a search for the recipe but came up with nothing, would someone be so kind to tell me where the recipe is or tell me the recipe for it. Thanks!

Comment

• Spacecase
                Spacecase commented
                Editing a comment
                Article about it in The NY Times gives good background. I would follow the original blogger recipe though, not the fancy NYT version https://nyti.ms/1K6HC2t

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I use the fancy NYT version to drop the fat content and make my own ranch dressing as their recipe directs which cuts back on the salt.

I've had it at a friend's home, made with the ranch dressing mix and it was, for all the guests, almost too salty, so don't add any extra salt until you taste the final product.

No matter which recipe from the NYT that you use, though, it's yummy!

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                continuing on...

You may have trouble accessing the NYT recipe without a subscription. I use this link instead for both the Original and the NYT version:

Kathryn

Why not start close to home? Meathead has an exhaustive discussion of all things burgers here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...how-zen-master

Comment

When grinding beef at home for burgers, I suggest dunking the whole piece of meat in boiling water for 10 - 15 sec to sterilize it. That will allow you to cook less than well done without worrying about picking up a bug from under cooked meat.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                  When grinding beef at home for burgers, I suggest dunking the whole piece of meat in boiling water for 10 - 15 sec to sterilize it. That will allow you to cook less than well done without worrying about picking up a bug from under cooked meat.
                  I find this concept interesting. The recommendation by grinder manufacturers is to chill the meat prior to grinding. Now I doubt a short dunk in boiling water would warm the meat that much, however it certainly would take any chill off of it I would think. So if I have this right, dunk the entire chunk, slice into grinder size chunks and chill for a short time prior to grinding. Thoughts????

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dip then chill. It may add a few minutes for it to chill, but it's worth it if you prefer less than well done burgers.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Meathead does this boiling water quick dunk as well, as I recall from one of his videos. He says that most of the contamination is on the surface of the meat, and dunking reduces the risk of e. coli contamination.

Kathryn

Originally posted by vandy View Post
                  Well I am from Mississippi and have no idea what a Mississippi Pot Roast is. I did a search for the recipe but came up with nothing, would someone be so kind to tell me where the recipe is or tell me the recipe for it. Thanks!
                  Here is the one we use with really good results.
                  Over 500 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ratings! Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast is slow cooker goodness! Chuck roast combined with ranch dressing mix, onion soup mix, butter and peperoncini peppers. #slowcooker #beef

Comment

• vandy
                    vandy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for that I will have to give that a try!

I always try to get somewhere in the ball park of 80/20, but often times it's more of a 75/25. My last creation was a mixture of good quality chuck roast and short ribs. It's simple, I know, but they turned out really good. Best of luck to you with your creations!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here