Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket at 3600 meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket at 3600 meters

I had someone from La Paz Bolivia contact me today with a complex question about how to cook a brisket.
    He wants to open a restaurant in La Paz and as you probably don't know it is located at an elevation of 3600 meters. (That's about 1/2 way up everest in layman's terms).
    He is getting to 160f internal temp in 1 1/2 hours and the brisket does not have enough time to soften up. (tough as goats nads).
    I suggested he try sous vide/bbq as good quality wood is hard to come by up in the high desert.
    Any ideas on time/temp for the sous vide?

Hmmm.....sous vide goat nads?

I'd run at least 155 on the sous vide if he is looking for brisket texture. 24-36 hours.

Comment

I have no input on the brisket at elevation but cool to hear of someone from La Paz! My dad's side of the family is from Cochabamba, and great uncle grew up in La Paz. I've been through the airport a few times but never gone outside it.

Comment

3600 meters, 1/2 way up Everest, goat nads? I have no idea what’s going on here. Good luck!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          My. Everest is 29,029 ft. Way up there. Goat gonads, well, don’t quite know how to describe. 🕶

Here's a pretty good resource on SV brisket. I think you're on the right track because temperature and time doesn't give a crap about altitude. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...as-recipe.html

Comment

So just how tough ARE goat's nads?? I can't say i have ever personally experienced that culinary delight.

Comment

Have him pre-smoke the brisket as not to exceed 155*F or 130* IT. Then into the bath at 155*F for traditional or 130*F for medium rare. I do 36 hours at 155*F and 52 hours at 130*F. Chill it down to below 40* F, re-season for more bark and re-smoke it until it reaches the bath temp used, no more. Perfect results every time !!

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahumadora - camel tastes like sheep?

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              Close your eyes and French kiss either - you can't tell the difference.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol!

Brisket @ 3600M. This sounds like a new Olympic event.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              It's an olympic feat trying to produce a great brisket in La Paz Bolvia.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here