Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with A5 cook....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with A5 cook....

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1EEB3C-861B-4213-86BE-9FD6D7E31702.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	570731

Hi all,

i got the steal of the year....Kobe A5 rib cap for $40 a pound!!! I bought the 4# ribcap and just want to prepare about 1.5 pounds for three of us tonight and freeze the rest. Any ideas on best way to slice for coming and storing? Best way for cooking in my cast iron?

Thanks!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is beautiful!

Lucky you! First off I would slice it where its thinnest, i.e. in the "valley" seen in the picture. That way you get it more even. When done, weigh the two and decide which one you want to eat. Slicing direction doesn't matter as much on a marbled cut like this, there are no tough fibers.

I personally am a big fan of smoking it first, then searing it in a cast iron pan. You DO NOT want to sear it over a live fire, as the fat will start to burn immediately. I've done a few Kobe's this way now, and I'm really happy with the results. When you sear it, don't add any fat/oil, just drop the steak in the cast iron pan and sear it. The fat will start rendering immediately. Since there is so much fat in this steak, it is a great match for some smoke. Do the normal low 'n slow for 30-40 minutes, then sear it.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sear whole, then slice for serving, I presume?

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik. I will not be smoking this due to time constraints. I have read where people slice it very thin and do a quick sear of it to medium or so. I am a bit intimidated to be honest.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sound advice

Yep, I am with Henrik. Get your Cast Iron out and get it blazing hot. I have never smoked it first, but that does sound good too!

Make sure to take a few pictures for us. This is going to be epic!

Comment

In that case (no smoke), I would sear it only. Then slice and eat. Just use your thermometer and you'll be fine. Like Spinaker says, this is going to be epic! And don't forget the salt, to really maximize the flavor.

Comment

Damn I’m excited. Just sliced it to 3/4” or so. Kept out 1.5 pounds for tonight and sealed and froze the remaining 2 pounds and fat.
        i'm going to go back and grab some more at this price.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Sfdrew28; September 25, 2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I would render that fat down for some Beef Love. You can save it for later cooks, amazing brushed on ribeyes or any other beef.

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          don't have the time today but will do it in the future. It's vacuum sealed so maybe I should just keep it in fridge until I do it next week. BTW-thinking I might go with my large griddle instead of CI

Sound plan you have going there. Last month I cooked A5 for eleven people. I cut 3 striploins into 1” strips and did them all on my blackstone grill since I wanted to serve everyone at the same time. It is great piece of meat. I also have a ribccap that I’m going to cut up the same as you did. They look fantastic.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          I might do it on my griddle...not a bad idea

Sfdrew28 , where'd you pick that up?! If you don't mind sharing the secret, I'll drive over there tomorrow morning and pick some up. I have to stop by a job in Daly City anyway in the morning!

Comment

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll try and get you one next week. I’m not worried about getting stuck with it. 😬

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          That's awesome thank you Sfdrew28 !!

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn’t forget about you. I returned from Cabo and now just coming up to breathe. Stopped by and didn’t see the guy working today.

The A5 I've had in the past I usually slice it to 1/2" and get my CI skillet as hot as possible..beyond warp 10. Sprinkle some fleur de sel (@spinaker suggestion) and pepper. I cook until it gets a good brown on each side, not very long. MMM MMM GOOD!

Comment

Ok...I seared them up on a 600 degree griddle. One side had a slight burn so I can’t mske a definitive judgement. It was really good but if I paid normal price I wouldn’t of thought it worth it. Maybe my expectations were too high. Very rich and I’m stuffed with no regrets though.
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here